What’s the one thing that can ruin your pitch-perfect voice? A not-so-perfect microphone. Did you know that in the fifth century BC in Greece, actors in theatres would put on masks that were designed in a certain way to amplify their sound so they were well-heard? A vocal Mic can make or break your performance or even career! Even if you simply want it for podcasts or narration, you’re going to need the perfect tool.
Don’t let your budget deter you from choosing an amazing mic. You can get one of the best vocal mics under $200. So nothing’s going to hold you back.
Our Top Vocal Mic Picks
We’ve prepared a mic bouquet and all there’s left for you to do is to pick your favorite one!
Shure SM58 Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone with On/Off Switch, Pneumatic Shock Mount, Spherical Mesh Grille with Built-in Pop Filter, A25D Mic Clip, Storage Bag, 3-pin XLR Connector (SM58S)
Shure developed this mic in 1966; this legacy mic is still one of the top-rated mics under $200. Its clarity makes your vocals sound awesome.
It’s mainly designed for stage performances or speeches. Its cardioid pattern specifically leaves behind background noises, making your voice its sole focus. With a pneumatic shock mount built-in, you don’t need to worry about weird noises from handling your mic. No one would hear them. Another plus? There’s a spherical filter inside it that blocks out wind noises and even your breath.
- Highly durable
- Frequency response is vocals-specific
- Ideal for studio recording too
- Comes with break-resistant stand adapter
- Stand adapter rotates 180 degrees
- Not ideal for other instruments
- EXEPTIONAL VOCAL PERFORMANCE - The SM58S delivers high-quality vocal reproduction, thanks to its tailored frequency response and brightened midrange for clear and present vocals.
- INDUSTRY STANDARD - The first choice for performers around the globe, the SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone is ready to bring any performance to life. From the club to the stadium, Shure has your back.
- CLARITY & CARE - The uniform cardioid polar pattern reproduces every note as it was intended, delivering warm, crisp sound time after time.
Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio XLR Microphone, Ideal for Project/Home Studio Applications,Black
Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio XLR Microphone, Ideal for Project/Home Studio Applications,Black mic is one of the best options for studio recording. Whether you want it for singing, voice-over, podcasts, or even home-studio, this one won’t let you down.
Featuring an A/D converter with excellent quality, this mic does your perfect pitch justice. It has mix control ensures you don’t face any problems when it comes to pre-recorded audio.
- Bass response
- USB outlet
- Volume control
- Extended frequency response
- Comes with rotating mount
- Might pick up background noise
- Lack of durability
- The price/performance standard in side address studio condenser microphone technology
- Ideal for project/home studio applications; The noise level is 20 dB SPL
- High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
Another Audio-Technica Pioneer when it comes to affordable microphones. AT2035 is great for in-studio recordings, both vocal and instrumental. It’s a remarkably detail-oriented Microphone with high sensitivity.
With its cardioid polar pattern, you don’t have to be standing at a specific angle to use this mic. While it mostly focuses on the front, the sides and its rear can also hear you. You wanna bang the drums? No need to worry about high pressure sounds anymore, it can take it.
- High SPL
- Custom shock mount
- Highly durable
- Low noise
- Low-quality accessories
- One polar pattern
- Bundle Includes: Audio Technica AT2035 Large Diaphragm Cardioid Studio Condenser Microphone, Pop Filter, Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm with 3/8-16 Threading (Black) and 25 Feet XLR Male XLR...
- Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone: Designed for critical home/project/professional studio applications and live performance, this side-address cardioid studio condenser delivers...
- Features: Equipped with a switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter and 10 dB pad, the AT2035 handles high sound pressure levels with ease
Blue Yeti X Professional USB Condenser Microphone for PC, Mac,Gaming,Recording, Streaming, Podcasting on PC, Desktop Mic High-Res Metering, LED Lighting,Blue VO!CE Effects-Black
Looks aren’t deceiving when it comes to Blue’s Yeti. It is a unique, retro-looking impressive mic with a wide color selection. If you’re into aesthetics, this is a top pick for you.
Perhaps the most flexible of the options, Yeti offers four modes you can choose from Cardioid, Omnidirectional, Stereo, and Bidirectional. Perfect for podcasts or duets, the more the merrier!
- Mute button
- USB outlet
- Headphones jack
- Adjustable angle
- No latency
- Volume button
- Breaks down
- Low sensitivity
- Limited frequency
- Four-Capsule Array – Capture Legendary Blue Broadcast Sound With Greater Focus And Clarity Than Ever For Professional Streaming, Podcasting And Youtube
- High-Res Led Metering – Visualize Your Voice Level At A Glance And Adjust Up Or Down For Powerful, Broadcast Quality Sound
- Multi-Function Smart Knob – Fine-Tune Your On-Stream Sound With Easy-Access Controls For Mic Gain, Mute, Headphone Volume And Blend
RØDE NT-USB Versatile Studio-quality Condenser USB Microphone with Pop Filter and Tripod for Streaming, Gaming, Podcasting, Music Production, Vocal and Instrument Recording
Although it’s a condenser, this high-quality mic doesn’t pick-up on background noise.
It comes with a pop-filter that ensures undisturbed clarity of your vocals. It also arrives with a stand mount, tripod stand, and a pouch for storage.
The USB outlet is perfect if you frequently use your mic with your computer. Rode’s NT-USB is compatible with Windows, Mac, IPads, and even applications on them.
- Headphone jack
- Mix control
- One polar pattern
- USB Condenser Microphone with Tripod Base
- Carrying Case
- Mic St Mount
How to Pick The Best Vocal Mic?
You need to decide what you’re going to use it for the most. Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Here are things you ought to keep in mind before deciding.
On Stage Vocal Mic Under $200
If you’re a vocalist and perform live, or generally record in a noisy place, then Shure SM58 Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone with On/Off Switch, Pneumatic Shock Mount, Spherical Mesh Grille with Built-in Pop Filter, A25D Mic Clip, Storage Bag, 3-pin XLR Connector (SM58S) might be the option that best suits you.
In Studio Mics
Inside a studio, there are other factors that affect your decision.
Vocalist Mic Under $200
If you’re the only one who’s going to use the microphone and for vocals only, Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio XLR Microphone, Ideal for Project/Home Studio Applications,Black extended frequency response is going to be handy.
Voice-Over Mic Under $200
If you’re not going to be doing much singing, you might consider RØDE NT-USB Versatile Studio-quality Condenser USB Microphone with Pop Filter and Tripod for Streaming, Gaming, Podcasting, Music Production, Vocal and Instrument Recording. You might find its pop filter pretty convenient.
Vocalist and Instrumentalist Mic Under $200
If your talent exceeds singing, Audio Technica AT2035 Microphone with Knox Gear Pop Filter, Boom Arm and XLR Cable Bundle (4 Items) has multi-tasking abilities that can match yours.
Multiple Vocals Mic Under $200
If you’re likely to have more than one vocalist, whether for singing or simply podcasts, Blue Yeti USB Microphone is your mic. The flexibility it offers can accommodate several people at once, without affecting your performances.
Best Mic Brands
This Technical GRAMMY-receiving company was first known as Shure Radio Company in 1925. Selling radios in Chicago, this one-man company eventually made its first microphone in 1932.
Rock-and-Roll musicians introduced Shure’s microphones to stage, establishing them as the standard mics for vocals.
Another GRAMMY-winning company, Audio-Technica was established in 1962. Several global countries coalesced to create the perfect audio technology.
Fun fact, Audio-Technica entered the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!
Best known for its high-performance studio mics, Blue has been upholding its legacy of 20 years. It is also known as being the world’s leading USB mics manufacturer.
Not only focused on mics, but Blue also has its own high-quality headphones.
Rode Microphones is an Australian company. It started out as Freedman Electronics in 1967 and pioneered audio technology. Freedman Electronics became Rode in 1990, and microphones became its focus.
Vocal Mic FAQ
What is the Best Mic for Rappers?
RØDE NT-USB Versatile Studio-quality Condenser USB Microphone with Pop Filter and Tripod for Streaming, Gaming, Podcasting, Music Production, Vocal and Instrument Recording pop-filter is highly recommended as they eliminate your fear of plosives ruining your flow.
Are Condenser Mics Good For Vocals?
Condenser mics pick up on tiny details; meaning they include a lot of background noise. They are better suited for vocalists who play instruments while singing.
Are Dynamic Mics Better or Condenser Mics?
It depends on what you’re looking for. Dynamic mics are generally ideal for loud sounds because of their thin diaphragm.
Condenser mics, on the other hand, are highly sensitive and pick-up on the littlest of sounds. They’re ideal for vocals and other instruments, such as acoustic guitars.
What is the Best Mic For a Youtuber?
Many Youtubers use RØDE NT-USB Versatile Studio-quality Condenser USB Microphone with Pop Filter and Tripod for Streaming, Gaming, Podcasting, Music Production, Vocal and Instrument Recording, Blue Yeti USB Microphone and Audio Technica AT2035 Microphone with Knox Gear Pop Filter, Boom Arm and XLR Cable Bundle (4 Items).
Is Shure’s SM58S a Good Mic?
This mic is known as “the world’s most popular mic.” It is over fifty years old and is still a favorite among singers.
The Bottom Line
Whether you’re a singer, band-member, singer/instrument player, narrator or podcaster, we’ve got you covered. All you need to do is determine what you’ll be using your mic for and the decision is practically made.
Who knew you can choose the best vocal mic under $200, right?
More Buying Guides
- Best Analog Synth Under 0
- Best Baritone Ukelele
- Best Bone Conduction Headphones
- Best Bluetooth Amplifier
- Best Camera for Music Videos
- Best Cat Ear Headphones
- Best Ceiling Speakers
- Best Closed Back Headphones
- Best Church Sound Systems
- Best DAW for EDM
- Best DAW for Hip Hop
- Best DJ Controller Under 0
- Best DJ Headphones
- Best DJ Software
- Best DJ Speakers
- Best Earplugs for Concerts
- Best Electric Drum Set
- Best Mixing Headphones
- Best Laptops for DJing
- Best Laptop Stand for Musicians
- Best Production Software
- Best Smart Speaker
- Best Studio Desks
- Best Studio Monitors
- Best USB Audio Interfaces for Recording Vocals
- Best Bluetooth Speaker For Bicycles
- Best Wakeboard Tower Speakers
- The 7 Best NFT Displays For Digital Artworks
- Best Marine Speakers
- The Best Subwoofer For Cars
- Best UTV Sound System
EDM Sauce participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.