Finding the best marine speaker for your boat can be overwhelming. With all the choices on the market, we thought we’d help narrow them down a bit for you. In this article, you’ll find the 15 best marine speakers available. You’ll also find a concise buying guide that sheds light on all the factors you need to look for in a good speaker for your boat. Bear in mind that we’re only focusing on marine speakers. These are different from the VHF communication system on your boat. VHF radios are part and parcel of any type of boating communication setup. Audio speakers, on the other hand, are luxury items. They’re designed to add to the fun and excitement of your boating adventures.
The 15 Best Marine Speakers for Your Boat
This section of the article will cover the 15 best marine speakers available today. You’ll notice that the first 10 are flush mount marine speakers. These are installed into the actual frame of our boat and are designed to stay out of sight.
The rest are known as tower marine speakers. If you have a waketower on your boat, these speakers would be installed on top of it for maximum output.
The BOSS MR60W flush mount marine speakers offer high-quality audio with reduced distortions. These 6.5-inch coaxial speakers provide powerful sound quality. It’s all thanks to the 1-inch tweeter that produces 200 watts of peak power per speaker. The root mean square (RMS) power handling is 100 watts for each speaker. One of its best features is its stainless steel mounting hardware. It prevents moisture from seeping in and creating rust or corrosion.
- Sturdy exterior
- Stainless steel mounting hardware
- User-friendly instructions
- Powerful sound
- Less affordable than other models
- Brand: Boss Audio Systems
- 200 Watt max power 2-way marine loudspeaker
- Mounting Depth 2-5/8 inch
If you’re shopping on a budget, then you won’t find better flush mount marine speakers than the Pyle PLMR60W. Not only are they affordable, but they look good and sound amazing! One of the features that caught our eyes is that they’re dual cones, which we were expecting at this price range. Yet, what we didn’t expect is their high-powered sound. Each speaker produces up to 150 watts each. That’s a total of 300 watts with 150 RMS watts cranking out your favorite tunes! The PLMR60W speakers are waterproof. They’re manufactured from polypropylene and molded ABS plastic for a sturdy finish.
- Budget-friendly price
- Powerful sound
- Durable build
- Stylish design
- The sound may become distorted at high volumes
- COMPLETELY WATERPROOF: This is a marine speaker that’s completely waterproof and can be used for several vehicles because it can withstand heavy water splashes and other outdoor conditions
- 150 WATTS POWER: The speaker has a 20 Oz. circuit magnet for a full range audio and complete stereo speaker sound system. The power output is 75 Watts RMS/150 Watts peak. It has a frequency response of 80Hz-18Khz and 4 Ohms impedance
- WEATHER RESISTANT: It’s a weather resistant speaker made of Polypropylene cone with cloth surround for a rugged and durable design. It is also engineered with heavy duty molded ABS plastic basket and grill construction to combat sun damage
Polk Audio is a formidable name when it comes to speakers, and the DB651 doesn’t disappoint. With these 6.5-inch flush-mount speakers, you get 60 continuous RMS and 180 watts of peak power for each speaker. These speakers are known for their good bass response. Plus, they can be loud with minimal distortions. This is great, especially when you’re having a party on your boat and rocking to your favorite tunes. We like that it comes with a liquid-cooled dome tweeter. Its dimensions are ¾ inches and are manufactured from a silk/polymer composite.
- Powerful sound
- Liquid-cooled tweeter
- Polymer/mica composite woofers
- Reasonable price tag
- High sounds can sound slightly harsh when the volume is turned up
The first thing you notice about the Kicker White OEM flush mount marine speakers is that they come in a set of four. So, if you’re serious about decking your boat in style, this is a great value purchase. With these flush mounts, you’ll be getting maximum power and efficiency with a peak power of 150 watts and RMS handling of 50 watts for each speaker. They also feature a 6.5-inch woofer and an injection-molded cone made of Santoprene. Their porcelain/enamel treated dome tweeter is quite small, measuring a mere 13mm. Yet, it’s still capable of generating crisp highs and balanced mid-ranges.
- Great value for the price
- Excellent frequency response
- UV-treated components
- Large grills make for a difficult installation
- Woofer(in,mm) 6-1/2, 160
- Rated Impedance(Ω) 4
- Continuous Power Handling(Watts RMS) 50
If you’re looking for a pair of flush mount marine speakers that get the job done without breaking your budget, look no further. The JBL DTI DS65MR speakers sound good and look good. We like that they feature a 20mm Neodymium teteron dome tweeter. At 180 watts peak power, these are quite the powerful speakers with minimal distortions. These 6.5-inch speakers are well-designed and can easily stand up to the elements. They’re water-resistant inside and out, as well as anti-rust and corrosion.
- Great value for the price
- Neodymium dome tweeter
- Powerful audio quality
- Minimal distortions
- May not be able to handle amplifiers well
The Pioneer TS-MR1600 flush mount marine speakers look good and perform even better. They feature an IMPP composite woofer and a dual cone tweeter. The unit’s peak power is 100 watts. Yet, what makes these 6.5-inch speakers stand out is their top-rated waterproofing. They’re one of the most reliable in the industry when it comes to resisting water, corrosion, and UV rays. The secret behind their high-quality water-resistance is in Pioneer’s unique design. These speakers are made from injection-molded propylene (IMPP). Besides creating an outstanding bass response, IMPP prevents damage caused by moisture, UV rays, and humidity.
- IMPP protective design
- Clear sound output
- Powerful bass
- Less affordable than other models
- Water-resistant white IMPP composite woofer
- Dual cone tweeter
- Strenuously resists water, corrosion, and heat
The Sony XSMP1611 speakers offer a balanced mid-range, crisp highs, and rich bass. All that with a dual cone 1-inch tweeter in each speaker with 140 watts peak power and 65 watts RMS power. One of their surprisingly nice features is that they’re pretty loud for their size. So, you can crank them up and have yourself a nice boat party. We also like that these flush-mount speakers are easy to install. Plus, you can paint the front grilles if you want to blend better with your boat color scheme.
- Wide-range audio quality
- Moderately priced
- Paintable front grille
- IPX5 water-resistant
- Not the most durable option
- 6-1/2" Dual Cone speaker
- Water-resistant IPx5 certified design
- UV and Salt Water Resistant
The Magnadyne WR40W speakers are well-designed and offer a crisp audio output. What we like about these speakers is their affordable price range. The 6-inch dual cone speakers are designed to make the most of tight spaces. Still, they offer a wide frequency response despite their 25-watt peak power handling. These flush-mount speakers are resistant to moisture, UV rays, and extreme weather conditions. Also, their electrical components are encased for added safety.
- Crisp audio output
- Affordable price
- Low wattage
- Durable design
- Volumes aren’t as impressive as other models
- 5" Dual Cone Speaker - Installation Dimensions: 4-1/2" cutout 6" grill
- 25 watts each speaker
- Exact replacement for many OEM hot tub speakers
We tried the Kenwood KFC-W053MRW speakers at maximum volumes. Surprisingly, the audio didn’t break up or become distorted in any way. The well-balanced dual drivers are 300 watts. they’re great at delivering crisp highs and pleasing mid-ranges. You can tell that the 1-inch balanced-dome Poly-Ether-Imide (PEI) tweeter is hard to match. All the parts on these large 8-inch flush-mount speakers are UV-treated for added protection. They feature Santoprene rubber surrounds, which boost their resistance to moisture and rust.
- Protective exterior and interior design
- Balanced sound output
- Well-built circuitry
- Price is higher than many other models
- KFC-2053MRW - Kenwood 8" 100W RMS Marine Coaxial Speakers
- 2-way 8" marine speakers with white grilles (pair)
- Injection-molded, water-resistant polypropylene woofer
10. JBL MS6520
JBL is known for its low-profile options that seem to blend into any boat decor. Besides looking terrific, the MS6520 speakers deliver enhanced sound performance and high-quality clarity. Their peak power handling is 180 watts and their RMS power is 90 watts. The secret? These 6.5-inch flush mount speakers feature their proprietary Plus One technology. This innovative invention boosts the surface area of the woofer cones. Add to that their balanced-dome tweeter, and you have a great pair of speakers. We like that JBL equipped each speaker with an individual voiced driver. They work to protect the speakers against moisture, sun exposure, and extreme weather.
- Plus One patented technology
- High-quality electrical components
- Reasonably priced
- The plastic exterior isn’t long-lasting
- Plus One woofer cones
- Balanced dome tweeters
- Designed for the elements
The NOAM NUTV4 waketower marine speakers are one of the best on the market. They generate high-quality sounds with their poly-injection cone and 1-inch neodymium dome tweeter. These speakers have a peak power handling of 100 watts each. We like that the NUTV4 speakers come with a remote controller. It has backlit buttons for easy access at night. Another nice feature of these 4-inch coaxial speakers is that they come with an amplifier. With an on/off switch, this amplifier will take sounds to a whole new level. Plus, the amplifier has an AUX socket so you can connect your other audio devices as well.
- High-quality sounds
- Come with a remote controller with backlit buttons
- Durable build
- Amplifier included
- Less affordable than other models
- HIGH-QUALITY PERFORMANCE: The NUTV4 has it all in one package. Amplifier, Bluetooth remote control, pair of N4 speakers and all wires & accessories needed for installation. Simple DIY kit ready to GO! The amplifier will take the N4 speakers right to its very best. Enjoy your tunes in high quality sound while riding wild. NOAM is the #1 name for UTV/ATV accessories and golf cart and boat speakers.
- EASY CONNECTIVITY: Use the smart Bluetooth remote to control your phone's function or simply connect your music player to the remote's Inline AUX input. Control Your Phone/MP3 player – the NBTA4-R can control your Bluetooth device, allowing you to comfortably store your Media player while riding the trails!
- VERSATILE: Your search for a bluetooth weatherproof speaker is finally complete! All around weather proof unit; ride in any weather conditions. Speakers, AMP & Bluetooth remote are all water resistant. The remote includes background light for dark conditions.
Stylish, sleek, and offer everything you’re looking for in waketower marine speakers. That’s what we first thought when we took the BOSS MRWT69RGB speakers out of their box. With 600 watts of peak power and 300 watts RMS, you get powerful, yet balanced, sound reproduction. The volumes are also impressive and generate minimal distortions. Another great feature is their multicolored lights inside the speaker unit. You can customize the colors, as well as other features on the unit, all with a press of a button on the remote controller.
- IPX5 waterproof rating
- Comes with a remote control
- Can be purchased individually
- Multi-colored LED lights
- The mounting bracket can be too big for some boats
- Multi-Color Illumination - Change the mood to a color suits your taste with the multi color illumination option. It looks great, especially at night!
- Weatherproof - All of the major components have been outfitted with the latest weatherproofing techniques for protection against the elements
- Cone - Made from polyurethane, the MRWT69RGB 6 x 9-inch marine waketower speakers provide a resilient and durable material that can offer great sound with the advantage of long-lasting speakers
As you saw with the Pyle flush-mount speakers, this is a brand known for its first-rate products. The Pyle PLUTV41BK are 2-way speakers that deliver 800 watts of maximum peak power and 400 RMS. Best of all, the bass is rich and well-balanced. The frequency response on these 4-inch speakers is excellent, thanks to the neodymium dome tweeter. The exterior of the PLUTV41BK speakers is heavy-duty. They also come with a universal mounting made of sturdy butyl rubber surrounds.
- IPX5 waterproof rating
- Heavy-duty exterior
- Reasonably priced
- Full-range stereo sound quality
- The sizing of the mounts isn’t accurate
- AMPLIFY YOUR RIDE: Pyle’s 800W dual marine grade off-road speaker system is what you need to listen to high-quality audio on your boat, ATV, UTV, quad, Jeep or other outdoor vehicles. Includes (2) four inch passive two-way off-road speaker system
- 800-WATT POWER: The pair of Pro Audio PowerSport speakers feature an 800W high powered output. It has a frequency response of 85Hz-20kHz w/ 4-ohm impedance and is equipped w/ impressive bass response and integrated speaker wiring for quick connection
- TWO-WAY: The wake board speaker kit features a 20oz magnet structure that powers (2) 0.5” neodymium dome tweeters, (2) 4” polypropylene cones w/ butyl rubber surround and 1” aluminum mid-woofer voice coil for a full range stereo sound reproduction
The Pair Rockville RWB90B marine waketower speakers are coaxial. They’re capable of generating high-fidelity sounds, thanks to their inner rubber gaskets. They can deliver up to 200 watts RMS and 300 watts of peak power. The feature that really caught our eyes is their ability to swivel 360 degrees. It helps to have a 1-inch polyamide dome tweeter to produce balanced mid-ranges. There’s also a polypropylene mica-injected cone that generates high-quality sound reproduction. These 8-inch speakers are designed to handle the elements, such as moisture, UV rays, and dust. The adjustable mounting hardware is stainless steel, which is both rust and corrosion-resistant.
- 360-degree swivel
- Powerful, clear sound
- Rust-resistant mounting hardware
- It could be too bulky for small-sized boats
- Features of RWB90B: Pair Rockville RWB90B Black 8" 300w Marine Wakeboard 360° Swivel Tower Speakers, 8" Two-Way High Fidelity Speaker System, Adjustable Nylon Mounting Bracket Reinforced With Embedded Steel, Includes Stainless Steel Mounting Hardware, 1" Polymide Dome Neodymium Midrange Tweeter, Built-In Two-Way Crossover Network, Fully Marinized Against Salt & Fresh Water Conditions.
- Terminals Are Sealed with Rubber Gaskets, Specially Tuned for PA Voice Over, Polypropylene Mica Injected Cone with Santoprene Surround, High BL Magnet Motor Structure, Y30 High Density Magnets, Oversized 1. 25” Kapton Voice Coil, Large mounting screw accommodates roll bars found on many off road vehicles such as Jeep Wranglers, and ATV's equiped with a roll bar/cage.
- These Wakeboards Fit bars ranging from 1. 26" 2. 87", Color: Black, Includes 65mm and 80mm screws that accommodate Jeep Wrangler and any roll bar, Includes Stainless mounting hardware that wont rust or corrode.
Another terrific pair of marine speakers with great sound quality. Only this time, they’re designed to handle the elements from the waketower. There's 150 RMS power handling on these speakers and 450 watts of peak power. You’ll be able to enjoy a rich bass along with a range of balanced sound frequencies. The volumes are also pretty impressive. The DB692 speakers feature a waterproof enclosure. They’re well-protected against moisture, salt, UV rays, and fog.
- Waterproof enclosure
- Powerful sound output
- Sleek design
- Slight distortions can be heard at maximum output
- High performance audio upgrade that delivers signature quality sound that goes beyond OEM factory systems
- Marine certified with IP55 rating (water- and dirt-resistant) and tested for salt-fog, UV and humidity
- Polypropylene and UV tolerant cone with waterproof inner and outer surrounds
What to Look for in a Marine Speaker: Buying Guide
When you’re choosing a marine speaker for your boat, there are a few factors you have to take into account; the most important of which is durability. If the speakers can’t handle the elements of being out on the water, they’re automatically disqualified.
We discuss each must-have factor in detail below.
Since they’re engineered for the outdoors, marine speakers have to be tough and durable. Look for speakers with a high IPX waterproof or water-resistance rating. The higher the rating, the better the quality will be. A reliable pair of speakers should be made with heavy-duty materials. They should be rust and corrosion-resistant to stand the test of time. Another feature of durable speakers is that they should be UV-resistant. UV rays are so powerful, they can wreak havoc on almost everything on your boat.
The very first thing you have to decide is how much you’re willing to spend on marine speakers. There are a good number of quality speakers that can still fit into a tight budget. If money is no option, then go for the highest quality to ensure maximum durability and the best performance.
How much power your speakers can handle is important. It’ll keep them in good condition while reducing the risk of having your speakers blow out. As a general rule, marine speakers should have the same power your boat’s stereo can handle. The two factors you have to know to determine speaker power are peak wattage and RMS. Peak wattage refers to the maximum power level the speaker can utilize in short bursts. RMS is described as continuous wattage. They’re usually lower than peak watts ratings. Yet, they’re the true representation of what the speaker unit is capable of handling. Here’s a quick example. Let’s say you buy a stereo unit rated at 60 watts of peak power and 30 watts of RMS continuous power. This means that this speaker unit can comfortably run at 30 watts of continuous power. Yet, it can handle occasional bursts of up to 60 watts with no problem.
The sound quality of marine speakers is of the utmost importance. After all, isn’t that why you're setting up speakers on your boat in the first place? Good speakers should be loud enough to be heard over the noise of the engine and other background sounds. They should also project sound well and generate different volumes.
Remember that the acoustics on a boat are much different than those in a car or an RV. Proper installation reduces the risk of loss in low-frequency response. Make sure you carefully measure the size of the speaker hole, as well as its depth. Then, find the right-sized speaker that best fits the size and shape of your boat.
Having options on any gear makes it that much more fun. So, why should marine speakers be any different? Many marine speakers can be used on other vehicles, mainly of their durable design. Some of the vehicles include RVs, off-road vehicles, and dirt bikes.
Types of Speakers
There are three types of marine speakers. Each is marked by a different quality and price. Let’s take a look at each type in more detail.
Dual cone marine speakers are the most affordable of the three. They’re also the lowest quality. They’re designed to have a woofer and a tweeter connected as a single driver. Connecting these two cones is a single voice coil, which is a basic electromagnet. Voice coils work to convert electrical signals into mechanical vibrations into the two cones.
Coaxial marine speakers are sometimes referred to as two-way speakers. In this design, one speaker wraps around another one for enhanced sound quality. This type of speaker includes a separate tweeter located within the woofer. Tweeters are designed to handle high frequencies and deliver a wide range of audio and sound. Coaxial speakers are of a higher quality than dual cones. This means they come with a slightly higher price tag.
Component marine speakers are the highest quality of the three. This would make them—you guessed it—the most expensive. Yet, they do have several high-rated features going for them. For one, they’re designed to eliminate cross-phase distortions by separating the tweeter from the woofer cone.
Types of Marine Speaker Installations
Hosting a boat party? Or simply looking for some nice, background music while you’re out in the water? Either way, having a good marine speaker can make all the difference. Here are two ways to install your boat speakers. This mainly comes down to the size and style of your boat, as well as your own personal preference. Read ahead to find out which one is better for you.
Tower Marine Speakers
Tower speakers are sometimes called ‘wakeboard tower’ or ‘canon’ speakers. They’re high-directional speakers mounted on the boat tower. They can be facing either the front of the boat or towards the back.
Flush Mount Marine Speakers
Flush mount speakers rely on having enclosed air in the back. This boosts sound resonance and frequency response. They’re known for their sleek, stylish design. Their best feature is that they can blend seamlessly with the finishing on your boat, so they stay neatly out of the way.
No boat is complete without a pair of marine speakers. No matter where you’re heading out on your boat, they’ll add fun and excitement to your outdoor adventure. All of the speakers we’ve included are some of the best on the market. Yet, our top pick has to be the BOSS MR60W Audio Systems. These flush mounts are ideal for outdoor use. They’re capable of generating powerful, well-balanced sound for the ultimate boating experience. Are you looking for something more affordable? Then, you should opt for the Pyle PLMR60W flush mount marine speakers. These dual cones produce high-quality sounds with minimal distortions. They’re also durable and designed to stand up to the elements.
As for waketower marine speakers, our favorite is the NOAM NUTV4 Waketower Speakers. They’re slightly more expensive than other models. Yet, with that price, you’re getting so much more than just a pair of speakers. This audio system includes an amplifier, remote controller, as well as mounting accessories. Not to mention, their sleek design will look amazing mounted on your waketower. In addition, they’re well-built and will keep your favorite tunes cranking in style.
More Buying Guides
- Best Bluetooth Speaker For Bicycles
- The 7 Best NFT Displays For Digital Artworks
- The Best Subwoofer For Cars
- Best UTV Sound System
- Best Closed Back Headphones
- Best Church Sound Systems
- Best DAW for EDM
- Best DAW for Hip Hop
- Best DJ Headphones
- Best DJ Software
- Best Earplugs for Concerts
- Best Electric Drum Set
- Best Mixing Headphones
- Best Laptops for DJing
- Best Outdoor Blanket Options
- Best Four Wheeler Speakers
- Best Golf Cart Speakers
- Best Laptop Stand for Musicians
- Best Production Software
- Best Smart Speaker
- Best Studio Desks
- Best Studio Monitors
- How to Stream Multiple Live Video Cameras
- Church Live Streaming Setup
- Best Wireless In Ear Monitor System
- Best Speakers For Garage
- Best USB Audio Interfaces for Recording Vocals
- Loudest Portable Bluetooth Speakers
EDM Sauce participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.