All speakers look the same on the outside, but there are different considerations for different environments. Choosing a speaker for your garage isn’t the same as choosing one for your house. The speaker inside your house will be protected and well taken care of. Meanwhile, your garage’s speaker will have to endure dust, grime, and a whole lot of dirt. You need it to be rugged, durable, and reliable. The sound also needs to be loud enough to resonate off the garage’s walls. In this article, I’ll help you choose the best speakers for garage by reviewing the best options on the market. I’ll also include a buying guide, so you know what to look for when buying.
Best Speakers for Garage
After a long, tiring search for the best garage speakers I could lay my hands on, I managed to compile this list with the best six options on the market. I included various budgets and a wide array of features, so you’ll undoubtedly meet your match here.
If you don’t mind paying some extra dollars to get superior quality, the Polk Audio Atrium 5 speakers may be the best option for you. With a peak power of 100 watts and a continuous power of 50 watts, you can ensure you’re getting a capable speaker.
The two speakers are driven by a three-quarter-inch tweeter and 5-inch drivers. Besides, they feature a polypropylene driver cone that’s surrounded by butyl rubber. The dome tweeter is made of aluminum and surrounded by butyl rubber as well. It also sports a neodymium magnet, accounting for pristine sound quality and exceptional clarity.
As for the cabinets’ construction, they’re made with aluminum grilles and brackets, and the other parts are made of stainless steel and brass. All materials are resistant to rust, so the speakers can last for years in your garage without showing any signs of wear and tear.
The speakers sport an angled design that helps project the sound in a large space, making the speakers ideal for garage mounting. You can mount them in any position you want, horizontally or vertically.
Like most Polk devices, these speakers have military-grade protection against weather conditions and elements, including fog and water. They’re water-resistant, but the rating isn’t disclosed. You can use them outdoors with peace of mind.
The only downside to these speakers is a mild distortion that occurs at very high sound levels. It’s not a big deal, though, seeing as most speaker systems have that downside. All in all, you get value back for every dollar you pay.
- Wear-resistant and proof to weather conditions
- The speakers provide rich bass
- They come with brackets for mounting in any direction
- On the expensive side of the market
- CREATED TO LIVE AND PLAY OUTDOORS, your Atrium Speakers can be installed in any open space—by a pool, in the patio or a sunroom, or tucked away somewhere in the backyard. They will deliver EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT SOUND
- WIDER SOUND DISPERSION & SURPRISINGLY POWERFUL BASS – Features a 5" mineral filled Dynamic Balance driver, a 3/4" tweeter, neodymium motor structure & PowerPort bass venting gives deeper bass and CUTS THROUGH LOUD, JARRING BACKGROUND NOISES
- ONE OF THE BEST-LOOKING OUTDOOR SPEAKERS - The outer profile EASILY BLENDS INTO THE CORNERS OF EXTERIOR WALLS, giving a minimalistic look & a steeply-angled baffle design fills open spaces with big full-range sound that is sure to leave you baffled!
- Atrium's one-click SPEED-LOCK MOUNTING BRACKET offers EASY, ANTI-SLIP ONE-HANDED INSTALLATION allows you to mount these speakers vertically or horizontally. Simply mount the swiveling C-bracket, adjust the angle and fasten the speaker with a click
- THE SPEAKER FOR ALL SEASONS – it’s rugged durability, high environmental endurance and superior quality has helped Polk Outdoor Speakers win the all-weather certification. They EFFORTLESSLY WITHSTAND EXTREME TEMPERATURES AND HEAVY RAIN year after year
You can hardly go wrong with this pair of Dual Electronics speakers. For the price they come with, I’d say they’re quite the bargain. They can be used indoors and outdoors, and they’re waterproof for your convenience. It can rain on them all it wants; they won’t budge.
Each Dual Electronics speaker comes with a 4-inch woofer and a 0.78-inch dome tweeter. On top of that, the cabinets are equipped with 1.6-inch midrange speakers, supported by a polypropylene cone.
For an affordable price, you get a peak power of 100 watts and a frequency response of 100Hz–20kHz.
Despite their compact size, the cabinets are capable of delivering loud sounds in large spaces. That way, you get to enjoy the sound, regardless of your garage’s size, and you can store the speakers anywhere.
The speakers have an external coating of UV-resistant resin for maximum protection against weather conditions. Plus, their cabinets are made of ABS plastic, which is decent enough to give the necessary protection.
According to the manufacturer, the Dual speakers can provide expansive acoustic dispersion, and they can deliver powerful bass.
Of course, the low price comes with its share of downsides. The construction quality isn’t the best, but it’s good enough if you take good care of it. Not only that, but the speakers aren’t Bluetooth-supported, so you can’t connect them to other devices via Bluetooth.
- Highly affordable
- Compact dimensions for easy storage
- Easily mountable on any wall using the swivel brackets
- Not compatible with Bluetooth
- |DESIGNED TO LIVE INDOORS & OUTDOORS| – your studio quality speakers can be mounted/placed in any open space, by the pool, under your patio, in the garage, on a bookshelf; regardless of placement they will deliver Extraordinary Sound
- |DIGITALLY OPTIMIZED FOR EXPANSIVE DISPERSION & POWERFUL BASS| – the synchronized harmony of your 3-Way Component Speakers & 4-inch Woofer create a state of accurate acoustic dispersion with deep rich sounding bass for a truly full range of sound
- |EFFORTLESS MOUNTING SWIVEL BRACKETS| – versatility is in its design; your speakers can be mounted in a matter of seconds in any open space and provide you with a 120 degree range of High Fidelity Sound.Sensitivity: 86dB
- |ALL WEATHER RESISTANT COATING| – these speakers are made for Every Season; they are coated with a UV resistant resin and placed inside an ABS enclosure protecting it from the elements and preserving sound integrity
- |DUAL DBTMA100 BLUETOOTH AMPLIFIER| – don’t forget to add the top selling Dual Electronics DBTMA100 Bluetooth Amplifier with your LU43PB Speakers for the best outdoor/indoor acoustic experience
Nothing says ‘garage speakers’ better than this beast from Aomais. Its design will go perfectly well with any garage’s interior, providing a sleek, rugged look close to that of a tool kit. Additionally, its portability makes it easy for you to move it anywhere and carry it like a breeze, thanks to the handle topping it off.
Moving on to the technical specs, the Aomais speaker sports two full-range 15-watt drivers, along with dual passive radiators and two 10-watt tweeters. You get powerful bass with a harmonic distortion of less than 1%.
The speaker is IPX7 waterproof. You can submerge it in the water down to 33 feet for half an hour, and it’ll come up as fine as new. Besides, it’s weatherproof, so it won’t be affected by any dust, snow, or garage debris.
Being wireless, the battery is typically one of the speaker’s most vital components. Well, rest assured, the 10,000mAh rechargeable battery can keep the speaker working for 40 continuous hours at 50% volume. It’s also fast-charging, reaching its full mark in roughly four hours. There’s an emergency power supply, as well, to prevent sudden fadeouts.
As for Bluetooth compatibility, the speakers can connect to iPhones, Android devices, tablets, TVs, and Pcs easily. It also features a 3.5mm audio jack that connects to non-Bluetooth devices, so you can ensure you won’t face any connectivity issues.
- Excellent value for money
- Lightweight for easy portability
- Supports Bluetooth and jack connections
- IPX7 waterproof
- The ports aren’t waterproof without rubber plugs.
- IPX7 WATERPROOF SPEAKER: Really waterproof! AOMAIS Go has top level waterproof able to withstand full immersion of up to 33 feet for 30 minutes. Other speakers may claim water resistance but can only defend against the smallest splashes. AOMAIS Go is protected enough to go on, it's dustproof, snowproof, mudproof, waterproof or even being dropped (Note: The upgraded V5.0 AOMAIS GO cannot be paired with the old V4.2 AOMAIS GO)
- BLUETOOTH V5.0 WIRELESS SPEAKER: Tablets, cellphones sync in a snap with Bluetooth 5.0. Works great with iPhones, iPad, Samsung, HTC. Wired connection with PC, TV and other non-Bluetooth devices with 3.5mm audio jack. Connect any device with a playlist to have a continuous sound for any occasion. You can aslo use AOMAIS Go for hands-free calling
- BOOMING BASS & FULL VOLUME: Get 40W sound with AOMAIS Go’s two 15 watt full-range drivers & two 10-watt tweeter, and two passive radiators. Super bass booms with less than 1% total harmonic distortion. 40W volume level not enough? Easily pair two speakers, creating left and right channels, for a powerful 80W stereo surround sound. Don’t sacrifice good look, performance that holds up to even the toughest use. A perfect gift for music lover with an active lifestyle
- 40H LONG PLAYTIME, FAST CHARGE: Get the play time you want with a 10000mAh rechargeable battery that can go for up to 40-Hour (At 50% volume, playtime varies according to volume level and audio content) Quick charge gets back to full in about 4 hours. Emergency power supply prevents fadeouts. You can even use the AOMAIS Go to charge your AOMAIS Sport II speaker or tablets, smartphone in a pinch, no need to worry about your devices dying when you enjoy your music
- WHAT YOU GET: Comes with AOMAIS Go Bluetooth 5.0 waterproof bluetooth speaker (Note: Due to new design of the logo, items will be shipping out randomly from two versions), a Micro USB charging cable, AUX cable, Quick Start Guide
If you’re on a tight budget, the Boss speakers may be an ideal choice for you. They’re also a perfect option for small garages and tight areas. The speakers’ construction is fine for an affordable price, and the speakers are compact for easy storage.
The midrange of the speakers is made of polyurethane, a durable, resilient material that looks sleek and costs less than metal, wood, and similar materials. As for the surround, it’s made of weather-resistant rubber that should last for as long as you intend to use the speakers. The surroundings will take all kinds of abuse without showing signs of wear and tear.
The voice coil is aluminum, which means it’s durable and rust-resistant. It’s also resistant to flames. Not that you’d put the speakers on fire, but it’s good to know!
The speakers come with swivel brackets that allow you to change their direction even when they’re already mounted on the wall. To benefit from those, make sure to leave a gap between the speakers and the wall when mounting.
Furthermore, the Boss speakers have a sensitivity rating of 85fB, meaning they’ll deliver a loud, clear volume regardless of whether they’re paired to an amplifier. The frequency ranges from 80Hz to 18kHz, and the impedance measures 4 Ohms. For the price the Boss speakers come with, those features and specs are quite impressive.
- Lightweight and compact
- Equipped with swivel brackets that rotate in all directions
- Good technical specs for the affordable price
- Not as durable as other options on the market
- Impedance: 4 Ohms, Frequency Response: 80 Hz - 18 kHz, Sensitivity: 85 dB
- Cone: Polypropylene, Voice Coil: 1 Inch Aluminum
- Surround: Rubber, Basket: Plastic
- One .75 Inch Dome Tweeter And 1.5 Inch Poly Cone Midrange Per Speaker
- Included: Swivel Brackets
Sporting a wood housing and a retro design, these Edifier speakers would add an aesthetic flair to your garage. Some people would prefer a rugged-looking speaker, like the Aomais, but I’m all for wooden cabinets. In this case, it’s a top-tier MDF wood covered by vinyl that looks the same as wood. You wouldn’t notice the difference until you touch the speakers.
Aside from the visually pleasing design, the Edifier speakers pack some decent sound qualities. They come bearing 4-inch bass drivers, along with a calibrated flared bass reflex port and a 13mm dome tweeter.
They’re capable of delivering deep bass notes with ease, and you can easily customize the output via the bass, treble, and volume control dials on the speakers’ sides.
The treble and bass have an adjustment range from -6 to +6 dB, which is quite decent for most listeners. Moreover, the dynamic range goes from 75Hz to 18kHz.
If you need to control the speakers from afar, you’ll love the remote controller that arrives with it.
If you’re worried about other devices’ connectivity, the Edifier speakers come with two RCA outputs, enabling you to connect to multiple audio devices at once.
- Aesthetic build and high-quality wood housing
- Loud volume levels for large garage spaces
- Excellent value for money
- Some users reported the sound clarity could’ve been better.
- 2 x AUX INPUT - Convenient connection to any device that has a 3.5mm headphone output or dual RCA output. Connect to two devices via AUX at the same time, no plugging and switching needed. (None Bluetooth version)
- STUDIO SOUND QUALITY - Natural sound reproduction from 13mm silk dome tweeter and 4 inch full range unit
- REMOTE CONTROL - Adjust volume at your figure tips. Bass and treble control located on the side of main speaker.
- CLASSIC WOOD FINISH - High quality MDF wood build finished with wood effect vinyl serves as a great compliment to any home decor.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for two years in USA and Canada.
The Klipsch outdoor and indoor speaker is durable, sleek, and it provides exceptional sound quality. What more could you possibly want in a speaker for your garage?
The speaker’s housing is made of durable ABS plastic that’s UV-resistant to offer maximum protection. You can use it outdoors all you want without worrying about wearing it out. You also have the option to paint the material in case you want to add a fun flair to it.
The speaker sports a horn tweeter that distributes high notes evenly and ensures they’re less directional. That way, you get a detailed listening experience with minimal reflections, which comes in handy in large garages.
The Klipsch is constructed to withstand all weather conditions. It’s rugged on the outside to put up with daily wear, and it’s resistant to dust, debris, and water splashes. That’s what makes it ideal for use in a garage, where the environment is typically not the best.
The speaker's sensitivity rating stands at 95dB, accounting for a clear sound at high levels with no distortions. The high rating also means you can power the speaker with a weak source and still get high volume levels. It can receive a power input for 85W.
Lastly, the speaker is very easy to install. It comes fully equipped with two mounting brackets, four nuts, and four knobs. The hardware makes mounting the speaker a breeze; it’s also made of stainless steel for durability and rust resistance.
The only major downside to this speaker is the lack of Bluetooth connectivity, which can be a deal-breaker for some people. However, if you intend on connecting it via a USB port or any other means, it won’t be a big deal.
- Rust-resistant and weatherproof materials
- Clear sound with no distortion at high volume levels
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Bluetooth connection isn’t available.
- Paintable UV-resistant ABS enclosure with rustproof aluminum grille
- High sensitivity and power handling
- 90º x 90º Tractrix Horn tweeter for clean clear highs
- Supplied with C-style mounting bracket and stainless steel hardware
- 3/8"-16 threaded insert for optional mounts
Features to Consider When Choosing Best Speakers for Garage
The variety of features on the market typically make your mission more challenging when choosing the speaker. If it’s your first time buying a speaker for your garage, you’ll be even more confused with the technical specs and the listed features.
Here, I’ll give you a roundup of the essential features to consider when buying. That way, you don’t have to pay for something you won’t need.
The speakers’ sensitivity is measured in decibels, so you’ll find all speakers on the market listing their decibel rating. But what is the sensitivity?
The speaker’s sensitivity is the amount of sound output it can deliver from an input of a single power watt. The higher the sensitivity is, the less wattage the speaker needs.
If you have a weak sound source, you’ll need a speaker with a high decibel rating to work properly. A speaker with a low sensitivity rating will need more wattage from the input source.
The speaker’s power is its most vital feature. If your speaker doesn’t have enough power, it won’t create high-quality sound decibels. You’ll find all speakers on the market or online listing the peak wattage and the RMS.
The peak wattage is the maximum of decibels the speaker can deliver in a specific time interval, whereas the RMS is the usual decibel output of the device. This means the RMS should be your priority when buying, with the peak wattage coming second.
The higher the wattage, the louder your speaker will sound.
Audio Sources Connectivity
Are you streaming music from your smartphone or laptop? Or maybe your TV? Either way, you’ll need to put some thought into your audio source when buying the speaker. Otherwise, you may end up with a speaker that can’t connect to your primary source.
Speakers compatible with Bluetooth have leverage over their competitors—they’ll be able to connect to any Bluetooth-enabled device, which is pretty much most devices on the market of all kinds.
On the other hand, if you prefer to connect your music via a USB port or an SD card, you’ll need to ensure your speaker of choice has those. The same goes if you intend to play music from an AUX-supported receiver. In all cases, make sure your speaker has the necessary ports or connection means.
Any garage area is exposed to outdoor elements, including dirt, water, and dust. Plus, you may need to use the speakers outdoors on some occasions. In that case, it’s vital to check the weather resistance of the speakers.
That way, you’ll make sure the speaker is durable enough to withstand any conditions. You won’t need to watch it rust in front of your eyes or need to repair it after a few weeks of buying it.
If you tend to move around the garage a lot, you may want to look for a portable speaker like the Aomais. Portable speakers are also an excellent option for people who intend to use their speakers elsewhere—not necessarily in the garage only.
You’ll be able to carry the speaker to your patio or poolside, and storing it will be a breeze if its size is compact.
Portable speakers are typically lightweight and compact, but they’re wireless. If you don’t mind the hassle of recharging the battery, you may as well go for one. It’ll make it easier for you to listen to music anywhere, even if there are no wall plugs.
It’s essential to consider the setup of the speakers because they may not be available to mount as you’d like. Some speakers can be mounted in any direction—horizontal or vertical—, like the Polk Audio Atrium 5 speakers, but not all devices are the same.
Some speakers can’t even be mounted on a wall, limiting your chance of using them to the ground or any surface. If you intend to set your speakers on a shelf or have them move around with you, you won’t have a problem with mounting methods. On the other hand, if you don’t have shelves in your garage, a wall-mountable speaker is non-negotiable.
Best Speakers for Garage: Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re still confused about anything regarding garage speakers, these answers to frequently asked questions may help you. Don’t worry; you’re not the only one who has questions around here!
Is the speaker’s sensitivity rating important?
The speaker’s sensitivity measures how loud its sound can reach, and it’s measured in decibels. A sensitive speaker will give you high sounds with no distortion, even if you only pair it with a simple amplifier or a weak power source.
So, sensitivity is important according to how you choose to connect the speaker. It may not be a big issue if you’re well-equipped with powerful devices.
Can I clean my garage speakers?
Yes, of course. You can clean any speakers, and garage speakers need cleaning more than usual ones because they’re prone to tough conditions, dust, and debris.
When cleaning the speakers, check if the grilles are removable, and make sure the housing is waterproof. Otherwise, you’d only have to wipe the speakers without getting water near them.
After you remove the grilles, you can use a damp piece of cloth to clean carefully around the woofer and tweeter. You’ll likely see a lot of dust inside; remove it carefully without jabbing at the speaker’s components. Additionally, make sure not to get water near the internal items. Even if the housing is waterproof, the parts inside aren’t.
Can garage speakers be used outdoors?
Most garage speakers can be used outdoors, but only if it’s disclosed on the manufacturer’s label. Mostly, only the portable and wireless ones are suitable for outdoor use because they don’t require any wall outlets or electrical cords.
There are a couple of extra considerations if you want to buy an outdoor speaker, though. For one, the speaker should be waterproof, and it should have a considerate rating if you live somewhere with frequent rain. On top of that, the cabinet should be weather-resistant, so it stands against dust, snow, fog, and similar conditions.
Can a garage speaker be connected to an amplifier?
Of course, you can connect a garage speaker to an amplifier like you’d connect any other speaker. However, if you intend on pairing it with an amplifier, make sure that it works with amplifiers before buying it. You may also want to check the connection ports available on both devices.
The Final Verdict
Out of the listed options above, my favorite speaker is undoubtedly the Polk Audio Atrium 5 Outdoor Speakers. They cost more than most other options, but they offer excellent value for money.
You get durable construction, pristine sound quality, and excellent coverage. The speakers are ideal for large spaces, and they’re tough enough to withstand harsh garage conditions.
If you want a budget-conscious option, you may want to opt for the AOMAIS GO Bluetooth Speaker. I’m in love with its rugged design that’s perfect for garages. Besides, its waterproof rating is high enough if you ever want to submerge it in water.
Regardless of the speaker you’ll choose, you can rest assured you’ll be getting a reliable option with high technical specs and decent sound quality.
More Buying Guides
- Best Analog Synth
- Best Baritone Ukelele
- Best Bone Conduction Headphones
- Best Bluetooth Amplifier
- Best Camera for Music Videos
- Best Cat Ear Headphones
- Best Ceiling Speakers
- Best Closed Back Headphones
- Best Church Sound Systems
- Best DAW for EDM
- Best DAW for Hip Hop
- Best DJ Controller
- Best DJ Headphones
- Best DJ Software
- Best Earplugs for Concerts
- Best Electric Drum Set
- Best Mixing Headphones
- Best Laptops for DJing
- Best Laptop Stand for Musicians
EDM Sauce participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.