Ceiling speakers used to be exclusive to PA systems. Now, they’re popping up in more and more homes. They’re great for background music, family movie nights, gaming, and lots more.
Many brands are being introduced into the market. So we wanted to weed out the bad ones and find the best ceiling speakers available today.
Here’s a quick, yet comprehensive, buying guide to help you pick your favorite.
The 5 Best Ceiling Speakers: A Buyer’s Guide
Featuring 8-inch blue polymer woofers, this set of 2 speakers offer dynamic sound. It comes with a 1-inch tweeter for an in-depth, rich sound experience. The mounted tweeter can pivot up to 15 degrees.
The mineral-filled polymer cone woofer has a rubber seal to provide high-quality sound. It also prevents moisture and dust from getting into the speakers. This makes it a great feature to have in kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor areas.
These Polk speakers can be quickly installed in 3 easy steps. They’re white, but the aluminum grilles can be painted to match any room style.
- 100w RMS
- 90 dB audio sensitivity
- 10¾ × 3⅝ inches (diameter x depth)
- Weighs 4.3 lbs
- Easy to install
- Minimal interior design
- Rubber seal prevents moisture and dust
- The magnetic grille is easily removable
- Doesn’t have a backing
- Get seamless audio quality & polk's excellent sound reproduction with these timbre-matched overhead speakers that elevate the sound quality. Add to your existing home theater setup or build your own polk collection for the same great polk sound everywhere
- The rubber seal drives better response and prevents moisture access, a key feature for use in a bathroom, kitchen, sauna and covered porch
- Out of the box & recessed into the ceiling - no mess, no extra assembly - in 3 simple steps quickly & easily install these speakers. Leave the paintable aluminum grilles as is or spray paint to match your existing interior and virtually make them disappear
- Polk's unwavering commitment, reliability, and craftsmanship, has made it one of the most trusted names in home audio speakers and entertainment systems. They bring out the best in technology, so you can sit back, relax and listen with your heart
- Experience more balanced & life like sound – Features an 8" Dynamic Balance woofer & a 1" aimable tweeter for more depth & detail in your music. Mineral-filled polymer cone & strong composite driver baskets create wider dispersion for Even-sound coverage
This impressive Klipsch speaker comes with Horn-loaded and Controlled Dispersion Technology (CDT) systems. They distribute sound smoothly and naturally.
It has a 6.5-inch Cerametallic Dolby Atmos woofer and 1-inch titanium tweeters which provide rich, dynamic sound for the entire room. The woofers can pivot 15-degrees in any direction. The tweeters can rotate 360 degrees to further enhance the Dolby 3D effect. This speaker provides you with a wide range of settings that go from stereo all the way to a 7.1 system.
For a more unique experience, Klipsch installed mid-bass and treble attenuation switches. These switches help you alternate from gaming to movie settings effortlessly and without lag.
- 100w RMS
- 94 audio sensitivity
- 9.5 × 4.5 inches (diameter x depth)
- Weighs 7 lbs
- Easy to install
- Comes with attenuation switches
- Easily removable exclusive SlimTrim magnetic grille
- Customizable sound systems for crisp sound delivery
- The grille can be painted
- Price is a bit high
- 1” Titanium Tweeter
- 6.5" Pivoting Cerametallic Woofer
- Horn-loaded technology
- Controlled Dispersion Technology (CDT)
- Treble and midbass attenuation switches
This speaker is affordable and easy to install. It’s a 2-way speaker with an 8-inch poly woofer. The Micca M-8C comes with a 1-inch soft-dome tweeter for smooth sound distribution. The woofer and tweeter work together to give a natural sound application.
This woofer also produces great bass output. For many, this eliminates the need for a subwoofer. However, if you want to add a subwoofer, this extends the bass capabilities even greater.
Its grille can be painted to match your room style. It’s durable and offers high-quality, dynamic sound throughout the room.
- 100w RMS
- 90 dB audio sensitivity
- 10.7 × 3.5 inches (diameter x depth
- Weighs 5 lbs
- Easy to install
- Can be set up in a variety of configurations
- Blends with room decor
- Easily customization with help of pivoting tweeter
- Affordable price
- The grille is pressure-fitted which makes it difficult to remove
- Poor sound isolation
- 2-way in-ceiling speaker with a high excursion 8" poly woofer and a 1" soft dome tweeter
- Perfect integration between the tweeter and woofer is achieved through a 6dB crossover network
- Smooth and natural sound signature with robust bass output for impactful listening experience
- Designed for optimal performance in a wide variety of home entertainment applications
- Easy to install and can be painted to blend into any décor
This set of five speakers provides a 3-way sound with the help of many high-quality features. It has an 8-inch polymer cone woofer with a butyl rubber surround system. There are 13 mm soft dome tweeters for evenly distributed sound throughout the room.
These speakers have pressure lock mounting clamps. This mounting system locks into drywall for a safe and secure installation process. Their unique all-weather design makes them suitable for placing both indoors or outdoors. They can even be used as boat audio systems.
- 350w RMS
- Audio sensitivity is 95 dB
- 9.49 × 3.7 inches (diameter x depth)
- Weigh 4lbs each
- 5 3-way classification speakers
- Easy installation
- The all-weather design makes them suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Grilles and frames can be painted
- Grilles can become loose because they’re not screwed on
- FLUSH MOUNT IN CEILING SPEAKERS - Wide sound dispersion designed speakers easily integrate with new and existing audio systems, traditional Passive speaker design, simply drive power from your home audio receiver or amp
- FULL RANGE 3-WAY SOUND - 8" High Rigidity Poly cone woofers with progressive spiders and butyl rubber surrounds, Poly Mica midranges and 13mm soft dome tweeters, 3-way passive crossovers for greater fidelity, frequency response is 40Hz-20 kHz with 95dB at 8ohm
- EASY TO INSTALL - Pressure lock mounting system clamps tight to drywall, fits round speaker hole size of 9. 49" with a mounting depth of 3. 7", overall size of 10. 86" with spring loaded raw wire connections, durable ABS housings and grills can be painted to match your decor
- SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - Any home audio receiver or amp with raw speaker wire outputs, power from your amp should be no less than 10 and no more than 350 watts per channel, CL3 rated in wall certified raw speaker wire to connect your receiver to the speakers
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX - 5 Acoustic Audio by Goldwood CS-IC83 speakers, removeable grills, cut-out templates, instruction manual. Use for home theater surround sound, whole house audio systems, business or retail installations
These Yamaha speakers offer dynamic stereo sound. They feature 8-inch polypropylene mica cone woofers with sealed backs to protect against moisture and dust.
They have in-built grain-finished acoustic baffles. Their spiral pattern disperses sound naturally. 1-inch fluid-cooled soft-dome swivel tweeters give you the freedom of positioning your sound wherever you please.
The magnetic grille can be painted over that means they won’t be an eye-sore. They have slim profiles that offer a unique and stylish look. They come with large mounting clamps with non-slip treads for easy installation and a tight finish.
- 140w RMS
- Audio sensitivity is 90 dB
- 10⅞ × 4¼-inch (diameter x depth)
- Weighs 4.2 lbs
- 2-way coaxial speakers
- Don’t require professional installation
- Easily removable magnetic grille
- Grilled can be painted
- Uniform sound distribution throughout the room
- Mounting clamps offer a non-slip tread for safe installation
- Aren’t as sturdy as other brands
- Crossover Type-2-way; Maximum Frequency Response-28 kHz; Physical Characteristics-Color-White
- Input Power (Maximum / Nominal): 140W / 50W; Impedance-8 Ohm; Physical Characteristics-Depth-4.3
- Driver Type-Dome; Crossover Frequency-3.50 kHz; Physical Characteristics-Diameter-10.9
- Slim profile design for flush in-celing or wall mounting
- Sealed back cover protects against dust and moisture
Benefits of Using Ceiling Speakers
- Better sound quality
- Built-in acoustics
- Less noticeable
- Reduced acoustic interference
- Tweeters can be rotated to allow for a more dispersed sound
- Some are resistant to humidity for use in kitchens or bathrooms
- Some have grilles or frames that can be painted to match your room style
What to Look For in a Ceiling Speaker
This depends on the amount of open space you have behind your ceiling. If you have a small space, opt for thin or ultra-thin speakers. Bear in mind that ultra-thin speakers are the most expensive on the market.
If you have 8 or 9 inches of depth behind your ceiling, then go with even enclosure ceiling speakers. They come with in-built subwoofers for a high-quality deep bass sound.
There are only two choices in this category, round, and square. This is determined by the room style. If it has more of a square, or angular, design, then square speakers would work better. Square speakers will also look better if the downlights are square.
The sound quality is the same in both shapes.
You can find 3-inch cone ceiling speakers. These are made for wide spaces because you’ll need a good number of them for full sound distribution. They’re made mainly to blend in with downlights.
If you’re choosing speakers for a small to medium-sized room, then look for 6.5-inch speakers. They’re easy to install and offer many practical features.
For larger rooms, 8-inch speakers would be your best bet. They provide better sound quality and ensure that the sound will travel to all corners of the room.
When you decide to install a home theater system, it’s natural you’ll want the best ceiling speakers. Those are the ones that give you a good bass response with detailed midranges and clear highs.
Our top pick is the Acoustic Audio CS-IC83. It’s the perfect combination of sleek design, high-quality sound, and great price. This set of five speakers features an 8-inch polymer cone woofer, as well as a 13 mm soft dome tweeters. Put together, they provide smooth, natural sounds. They can be installed both indoors and outdoors thanks to their versatile all-weather design.
If you’re willing to spend a bit more, then Klipsch CDT-5650-C II is a perfect choice. These speakers bring out the best Klipsch has to offer. From its exclusive CDT system and attenuation switches, to its pivoting woofer and tweeter, this speaker provides smooth, even sounds.
More Buying Guides
- Best Analog Synth Under $500
- Best Baritone Ukelele
- Best Bone Conduction Headphones
- Best Bluetooth Amplifier
- Best Camera for Music Videos
- Best Cat Ear Headphones
- Best Closed Back Headphones
- Best Church Sound Systems
- Best DAW for EDM
- Best DAW for Hip Hop
- Best DJ Controller Under $500
- Best DJ Headphones
- Best DJ Software
- Best DJ Speakers
- Best Earplugs for Concerts
- Best Electric Drum Set
- Best Mixing Headphones
- Best Laptops for DJing
- Best Laptop Stand for Musicians
- Best Outdoor Speakers
- Best Production Software
- Best Smart Speaker
- Best Studio Desks
- Best Studio Monitors
- Best USB Audio Interfaces for Recording Vocals
- Best USB C Headphones
- Best Vocal Mic Under $200