With the remarkable coming of age of outdoor entertainment, it has become possible to enjoy a flawless al fresco listening experience that isn’t phased at all by the elements. Be that as it may, the process of selecting a set of outdoor speakers isn’t as straightforward as it may sound.
Considering the deluge of outdoor speakers on the market, this article attempts to point out the things you need to take into consideration before making your purchase. Thereafter, we’ll cover some of the best outdoor speakers available today, so you may want to stick around.
5 Best Outdoor Speakers Today
Outdoor speakers come in all shapes and sizes, which can make it hard for you to pinpoint the right model for you. To make the selection process easier for you, we’ve filtered through plenty of products and came up with our own list of the five best outdoor speakers today.
Bose is one of the most prominent names in the speakers’ department and it has been that way since 1964. With an unexampled track record of putting out high-quality sound systems, Bose is almost always guaranteed to satisfy, especially if we’re talking about the Free Space 51s.
The Free Space 51 is a pair of in-ground speakers that integrate very well with outdoor settings, especially if you have a lot of greenery around since the speakers are colored green. Thanks to their flexible design, the Free Space 51s can be fitted almost anywhere with ease.
If you have any previous experience with Bose sound systems, you know just how rich and very immersive their sound is. The Free Space 51s offer you 360 degrees of coverage. On top of the speakers, you’ll find a domed grille that helps spread highs and lows over a wide area.
The great thing about the sound quality that the Free Space 51 produces is that it’s never tinny, it’s always deep and rich. As far as the build quality, Bose products are as tough as can be. This is a pair of speakers that can handle some of the worst temperature swings you can encounter.
To be more specific, the Bose Free Space 51s can play music in temperatures ranging from -22 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which is quite impressive. The speakers are totally weatherproof, so you always leave them outside. They’re also super easy to install. Highly recommended!
Reasons to Buy
- Weatherproof and outstandingly durable
- Offers Bose’s award-winning sound quality
- Easy to install and can be fitted anywhere
- Can easily integrate with the environment
- Downward firing 4 1/4 full range driver.Dimensions Each speaker:36 cm H x 32 cm W x 32 cm D
- Innovative radial design disperse sound in a 360 degree pattern and centrally located port enhances low frequency performance to deliver the depth and richness of music outdoors
- Base flange with mounting holes for easy installation
- Rugged, flexible design withstands temperatures from 40 to +150 degrees Fahrenheit, and passed the rigorous salt fog test 66 percent longer than required by the Marine Industry Standard
- Recommended power 10 100 watts and withstands up to 350 pounds of pressure
If you’re looking for the best pair of mountable outdoor speakers out there, you should definitely check out the Polk Audio Atrium 6. These speakers can hang from your fence posts or even the pool furniture. All you have to do is properly add the mounting system wherever you want.
This pair of Polk speakers are completely resistant to water. They can also withstand extremely high and low temperatures, thanks to its immense strength. The speakers feature brackets and grills that are made of aluminum and the hardware is made of brass and stainless steel.
As far as the sound, the Polk Audio Atrium 6 features a baffle design that offers ideal coverage that can fill large open spaces with ease. The only drawback that these speakers suffer from is that they don’t offer Bluetooth connectivity. To add Bluetooth, you’ll need a Bluetooth receiver.
Reasons to Buy
- Features both vertical or horizontal mounting
- The materials never rust or suffer from stains
- The installation process is surprisingly simple
- The units are highly resistant to the elements
- Install your Atrium 6 Speakers in any large or open space—by a pool, in the patio, the sunroom, halls or office areas. They will deliver EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT SOUND, OUTDOORS OR INDOORS, no matter where you set them up
- Equipped with 5 1/4" Dynamic Balance driver 1" dome tweeter provides WIDER SOUND DISPERSION & SURPRISINGLY POWERFUL BASS. At 100W, frequency response is as low as 60KHz and PowerPort bass venting, CUTS THROUGH LOUD, JARRING BACKGROUND NOISES
- These loudspeakers come with a steeply-angled baffle design that fills expansive spaces with full-range sound that is sure to impress. GREAT AESTHETICS COMBINED & BEAUTIFUL LIVELY SOUND makes these speakers a preferred choice among music lovers worldwide. Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter):90 dB
- Atrium's one-click SPEED-LOCK MOUNTING BRACKET offers EASY, ANTI-SLIP ONE-HANDED INSTALLATION - mount speakers vertically or horizontally, to deliver the best sound in a variety of situations. Simply mount the swiveling C-bracket, adjust the angle and fasten the speaker with a click
- THE SPEAKER FOR ALL SEASONS – it’s rugged durability, high environmental endurance & superior quality has helped Polk Outdoor Speakers win the all-weather Certification. They EFFORTLESSLY WITHSTAND EXTREME TEMPERATURES AND HEAVY RAIN year after year
Are you in search of the best waterproof portable Bluetooth speaker out there? Look no further! The JBL Xtreme 2 is exactly what you’re looking for. This unit boasts IPX7 waterproofing, which means that you can drench it with water and nothing will happen to it at all.
The JBL Xtreme 2 comes with the shoulder strap, allowing you to carry it around with ease. The range that this unit boasts is nothing short of impressive. The mid and highs are as clear as day and the bass notes are present and rich without being overpowering or overwhelming.
The great thing about the JBL Xtreme 2 is that it can be connected with other JBL speakers with the aid of Connect Plus, which is a free app provided by JBL. By doing so, you help increase the range of sound. The Xtreme 2 can also be wired if you don’t feel like relying on battery power.
Speaking of the battery, it’s a built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery that offers up to 15 hours’ worth of playtime. You can also use the battery to charge your device with the aid of a USB port. All in all, the JBL Xtreme 2 isn’t only a terrific unit in terms of portability, it’s terrific in all aspects.
Reasons to Buy
- Provides up to 15 hours of continuous playtime
- Features IPX7 waterproofing for optimal security
- Includes a shoulder strap for your convenience
- Can easily be connected to other JBL speakers
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming
- 15 hours of playtime
- IPX7 waterproof
- Jul. connect+
- Durable fabric and rugged material
Another excellent outdoor speaker that’s designed for people who don’t want to be restricted as far as location is the MEGABOOM 3 from Ultimate Ears. This is a super lightweight speaker that you can just pick up and move around with. Moreover, it’s completely resistant to water.
The MEGABOOM 3 features a cylindrical shape that helps create 360-degree output so that you can hear the music from whichever corner of your outdoor setting. With the MEGABOOM 3, you can expect a crystalline clear and balanced sound no matter the volume you adjust it to.
Now, this isn’t one of those speakers that features a ton of confusing buttons. The MEGABOOM 3 features the Magic Button which you can use to control just about anything the speaker has to offer. Last but certainly not least, this speaker has a whopping battery life of up to 20 hours!
Reasons to Buy
- Offers the greatest battery life out of the bunch
- Features a button that controls all of its settings
- The speaker’s shape spreads the sound evenly
- The speaker’s design is completely waterproof
- Performance meets style : colors and materials based on Street trends and fashion with custom cross dyed fabric
- Enhanced portability power up, waterproof, portable, durable, drop proof, dustproof, Military grade
- One touch to music feature "one touch" To control music and "one touch" To access playlist with Apple Music and Deezer
- Party up connect with Boom, Boom2, megaboom
- These are FCC regulated products: FCC ID Jnzs00171.Frequency range: 60Hertz to 20Kilohertz
If you’re restricted by a tight budget and you’re looking for a portable speaker to fulfill your need for music in the open air, the Anker Soundcore Boost is the outdoor speaker you need to spend your bucks on. While it’s one of the most affordable units on this list, it’s still a robust beast.
Connectivity-wise, you can connect the Anker Soundcore Boost to your phone or tablet via NFC or Bluetooth technology. As far as the sound quality, this speaker produces balances and bright notes that aren’t grating to the ear. You can boost the tones with extra bass for added punch.
The Anker Soundcore Boost houses a rechargeable battery that provides up to 12 hours’ worth of playtime, which is enough for you to enjoy your favorite music genre for an entire day. This is a unit that’s rated IPX5, meaning that it can handle rain splashes, but it’s not waterproof.
In addition to the Anker Soundcore Boost itself, the package comes with a Micro-USB charging cable for your convenience. It’s also worth noting that the unit is backed by an 18-month limited warranty, which shows just how confident the manufacturer is in the product.
Reasons to Buy
- One of the most affordable units on the market
- Has a remarkable battery life of up to 12 hours
- The unit can withstand spills and rain splashes
- The quality of the sound is bright and balance
- Unbelievable sound: 12W of pure audio power with enhanced bass Thunders from dual neodymium drivers. An advanced digital signal processor ensures pounding bass and zero distortion at any volume.
- Intense bass: exclusive bass up technology and a patented spiral bass port boost low-end frequencies to make the beats hit even harder.
- Outdoor-proof: IPX7 protection safeguards against rain, dust, snow, and spills. Get incredible sound at home, in the yard, or anywhere else imaginable.
- 24H Non-Stop Music: Anker’s world-renowned power management technology and a 5,200mAh Li-ion battery deliver a full day of sublime sound.
- Grab, go, Listen: classic design that has been refined and lightened, with effortlessly simple controls.
Things to Consider Before Buying Outdoor Speakers
Before clicking the ‘Add to Cart’ button, you need to be aware of the traits that make up a set of high-quality outdoor speakers so that you can ensure the most bang for your buck.
Do You Prefer Permanent or Portable Speakers?
When in the market for a set of outdoor speakers, ask yourself whether you’d prefer them to be permanent or portable. The former type can be installed under eaves, around a swimming pool, or in the yard. The latter type, on the other hand, can be set just about anywhere you want.
If you want your speakers to be permanently installed but still be able to make use of Bluetooth as your primary source of music, you can simply use a receiver that boasts built-in Bluetooth to power your outdoor speakers. This way you can enjoy detailed, immersive sound on your deck.
As far as the installation process itself, it’s not really that difficult if you’re feeling handy. Most of the products on the market come with the required mounting brackets, so you won’t have to buy them separately. All you have to do is follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the unit.
Before you start the installation process, you need to make sure that the surface you’ve chosen to mount your outdoor speakers is rugged enough to support their weight plus the weight of the brackets. We suggest you drill into masonry or solid wood. Steer clear of aluminum or cedar.
Now that you’ve settled on the placement for your outdoor speakers, you want to make sure you listen to them at that location before you put the finishing touches so that you can hear how well they project sound and make changes accordingly. Keep the mounting height below 10 feet.
How Much Power and Range Do You Require?
Another crucial factor to consider when in the market for outdoor speakers is how well they can fill the parameters of your outdoor environment with sound. If the speakers require walls to help with the acoustics, then obviously they won’t be an optimal fit for your outdoor settings.
If you want to know how well your speakers will perform, you need to inspect the wattage value in the amplifier. Typically, the higher the wattage value, the louder the speakers will be. And the louder the speakers are, the better they’ll be able to fill an outdoor space with quality sound.
Further, you want to keep your eyes open for speakers that boast extra features that help boost their range. For example, 360-degree speakers or tilted drivers can deliver sound across a wide area, as they can spread sound evenly, sparing you from the need for high-wattage devices.
Which Power Source Will Your Speakers Run On?
While the vast majority of outdoor speakers tend to be wireless, they still require a power source to run. One of the most common sources of power for speakers is rechargeable batteries. Using an AC/DC adapter, you can easily recharge the battery whenever you want.
However, the drawback with outdoor speakers that house rechargeable batteries is that in order to recharge them, you have to be near an electrical socket. Alternatively, you can choose to buy a battery-operated wireless speaker, but you’ll have to replace the battery when it finally dies.
There are speakers that run on solar power, but they’re not as common as the above-mentioned types of speakers. Speakers that run on solar power are excellent for when you want to listen to music or podcasts when the sun is out. But when the sun is gone, they won’t be of much use.
What About Connectivity and Compatibility?
Connectivity and compatibility are two vital factors that must be considered when shopping for a set of outdoor speakers since most avid music listeners nowadays stream music wirelessly with the aid of a phone or a tablet. So make sure the speakers offer ideal connectivity.
The most common way to connect your phone or tablet to your speaker is using Bluetooth. You simply tap a button and both devices will be synced together in a matter of seconds. Sadly, not all speakers feature Bluetooth connectivity, so you may need to invest in a wireless receiver.
The last way to connect your phone or tablet to your speaker is by using an auxiliary input cord. The great thing about using an aux cord is that it ensures stability and security. It also eliminates the chances of cutting out or skipping. Most Bluetooth-enabled devices offer standard aux input.
We’re pretty confident that one of the above-mentioned products will meet both your budget and needs. If you’ve found the information provided in this post helpful, kindly let us know which one of the above-mentioned outdoor speakers you’ve found to be the best and why.
More Buying Guides
- Best Analog Synth Under $500
- Best Baritone Ukelele
- Best Bone Conduction Headphones
- Best Bluetooth Amplifier
- Best Camera for Music Videos
- Best Cat Ear Headphones
- Best Ceiling Speakers
- Best Closed Back Headphones
- Best Church Sound Systems
- Best DAW for EDM
- Best DAW for Hip Hop
- Best DJ Controller Under $500
- Best DJ Headphones
- Best DJ Software
- Best DJ Speakers
- Best Earplugs for Concerts
- Best Mixing Headphones
- Best Laptops for DJing
- Best Laptop Stand for Musicians
- Best Production Software
- Best Smart Speaker
- Best Studio Desks
- Best Studio Monitors
- Best USB Audio Interfaces for Recording Vocals
- Best USB C Headphones
- Best Vocal Mic Under $200