With the hot weather finally here, now is the time to start thinking about cooling off in the pool. Of course, pools require a lot of work to maintain, but they're worth it when you can take a refreshing dip on a hot day. Using solar pool rings is one way to make your pool more efficient and reduce your workload. They are placed on top of the water and absorb sunlight, transferring heat to the water. This can raise the temperature of the water by up to 10 degrees Fahrenheit, making it more pleasant to swim in.
There are many different brands and types of solar pool rings on the market, so it's important to research before purchasing one. To help you out, we've compiled a list of the best solar pool rings on the market and a buying guide with everything you need to know about them. Let's get started.
What Is a Pool Solar Ring?
A solar ring is a float on your pool's surface and uses the sun's power to heat up the water. It’s a great way to extend your swimming season and enjoy your pool for longer without relying on expensive and polluting gas or electric heaters.
Solar rings are made up of two layers – an inner layer of black material that absorbs the sun’s rays and heats up and a clear outer layer that traps the heat. Some solar rings also have a built-in bubbler system which helps circulate the warm water and evenly distribute the heat around your pool.
The solar ring float itself doesn’t get hot, so you don’t have to worry about it being too hot to touch or causing any safety concerns. However, the water around the solar ring will be heated up, and this warmth will spread outwards from the solar ring across the surface of your pool.
Best Solar Pool Rings
Some of the best options for solar pool rings are:
1. Solar Sun Rings
- ABSORBS SUNLIGHT: Solar Sun Ring is composed of two sheets of UV-resistant vinyl that convert solar energy into heat, adding free heat to your pool with only the power of the sun
- RETAINS HEAT AND WATER CHEMISTRY: This solar blanket cover retains heat at night and reduces evaporation of water and chemicals
- ALL WEATHER: Water anchors add stability and weight for storms and windy conditions
- SALT WATER OR CHLORINE: Compatible with automatic pool cleaners and not affected by salt or chlorine systems
- EAST TO CLEAN: Easy to clean and store; when not in the water, do not store in direct sunlight as the product can burn whatever items are below it; Color: Sunburst-blue; Dimensions (W x H): 60 x 2 inches
The solar blanket cover comprises two sheets of UV-resistant vinyl that convert solar energy into heat, adding free heat to your pool with only the sun's power. Not only does it retain heat at night and reduce evaporation of water and chemicals, but it's also compatible with automatic pool cleaners and not affected by salt or chlorine systems.
Solar Sun Rings are an excellent way to keep your pool water warm and your energy bills low. They are easy to install and can be used in above-ground and inground pools. They are a great alternative to traditional pool covers and can help extend your swimming season by up to 6 weeks. Best of all, it's easy to clean and store. Just be sure not to store it in direct sunlight when you're not using it, as the product can burn whatever items are below it.
- Easy to install
- It can be used with automatic pool cleaners
- Not affected by salt or chlorine systems
- Must be taken off the pool when not in use.
2. Solar Sun Rings Palm Tree Pattern
- Set of 12
- made from two sheets of heavyweight U.V. resistant vinyl
- The blue layer absorbs about 50% of the sunlight and converts it to heat.
Solar Sun Rings are a type of solar pool heater consisting of two vinyl layers. The upper layer is clear and helps to focus sunlight onto the blue lower layer, which absorbs around 50% of the sunlight and converts it into heat. The remaining sunlight passes through the Ring and heats the water in the pool. At night, the air inside the Ring acts as an insulating blanket to keep the heat in. They also have six magnets that help to improve water clarity and decrease hardness.
The magnets are positioned so that the rings will float on top of the water. If the suction hose from an automatic pool cleaner catches on a ring, the Ring will break away from the float to prevent entrapment. They are also designed to be water and chemical-resistant, so you'll save on water and chemicals. Once the pool water has reached the desired temperature, you can turn the Solar Sun Rings over to conserve water by limiting evaporation.
- Reduces water and chemical usage
- Improves water clarity and decreases hardness
- Floats on top of the water
- It can be turned over to conserve water
- It only works when the sun is shining
3. Solar Sun Rings Solar Pool Heater
- HEAT YOUR POOL - Solar Sun Rings are passive solar swimming pool heating devices, constructed from two layers of U.V. resistant vinyl. The upper clear layer directs the suns rays onto the bottom blue layer which absorbs about 50% of the sunlight, converting it to heat. The remaining sunlight filters through the ring into your pool water.
- WARMING DISCS - The majority of heat loss from a pool comes from the water surface at night. Solar Sun Rings do not cover the entire surface of your pool; therefore it allows heat to escape. To help keep the warm water in your pool at night we recommend you use additional insulation such as solar fish or a solar blanket.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED - Each unit contains 6 magnets that are used to attach the rings together. Do not over inflate. Do not use as a flotation device.
- SOLAR ACTIVATED - Use the Solar Sun Rings to provide heat to your swimming pool from the sun. Swim comfortably without wasting energy
- PLEASE NOTE - These Solar Sun Rings are NOT a solar cover or a replacement for a solar cover. These are floating disc heating devices.
They are designed to heat your pool using the sun's rays. The rings are made of two layers of vinyl, with the top layer clear and the bottom layer blue. The blue layer absorbs about 50% of sunlight and converts it into heat. The remaining sunlight filters through the Ring into the pool water. They do not cover the entire pool surface, so some heat may escape at night. To help keep the water warm, it is recommended that you use additional insulation such as solar fish or a solar blanket. Each unit comes with 6 magnets to attach the rings. These Solar Sun Rings are not solar covers but floating disc heating devices.
They are easy to install and can be used in above-ground and in-ground pools. Solar Sun Rings Solar Pool Heater is made of durable material and can withstand the harshest weather conditions. Their unique design allows them to float on the water's surface, absorbing the sun's rays and transferring the heat to the water below.
- Easy to install
- Made of durable material
- Can withstand harsh weather conditions
- Floats on water's surface
- Absorbs the sun's rays and transfers heat to water below
- Does not cover the entire pool surface
- Requires additional insulation for maximum efficiency
4. Solar Sun Rings SSSA-SB-02
- Solar cover uses sunlight to heat the pool throughout the day
- Thermal blanket effect helps the water retain heat during the night
- Helps reduce evaporation of water and chemicals
- Rings easily break apart to prevent tie-ups in accidental falls
- Redesigned inner grid with added drainage grommets which allows water to seep through the Solar Sun Rings without sinking; Dimensions (W x H): 60 x 60 inches
Solar pool rings are designed to use sunlight to heat the pool throughout the day. This can help reduce evaporation of water and chemicals and help the water retain heat during the night. Additionally, the solar pool rings are easy to break apart, preventing accidental fall tie-ups. Plus, they come in various sizes and colors to choose from.
They are one of the best solar pool rings on the market. They are made of a durable material that will last for years and provide excellent coverage for your pool. They are easy to install and remove and come with a one-year warranty.
- Reduce evaporation
- Easy to break apart
- Come in a variety of sizes and colors
- Easy to install and remove
- One-year warranty
- May not eliminate the need for a pool cover
- Can be damaged by strong winds or debris
- Not recommended with saltwater pools
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Solar Pool Rings?
While solar pool rings may seem like a very simple product, there are a few things you should take into account before purchasing them. Below, we will go over some of the main considerations you need to make to ensure you buy the best solar pool rings for your needs.
1. Size And Shape
The first thing you need to consider is the size and shape of your pool. Solar pool rings come in various sizes and shapes to fit different pools. Ensure you measure your pool before purchasing solar pool rings to get the right size. Also, don't forget to consider the shape of your pool when choosing solar rings.
2. Type Of Material
Solar pool rings are usually made from two materials: PVC or EVA foam. PVC solar pool rings are more durable and longer lasting than EVA foam solar rings. However, they are also more expensive. EVA foam solar rings are a good choice if you are on a budget. Also, some solar pool rings are made with a UV-resistant coating to prevent them from fading in the sun.
3. Number Of Rings
The number of solar pool rings you need will depend on the size of your pool. You will need one ring for every 10 square feet of pool surface area. So, if your pool is 20 feet by 10 feet, you will need two solar rings.
Solar pool rings are relatively inexpensive, but there can be a wide range in prices depending on the quality of the product. Generally, you can expect to pay between $15 and $30 for a good quality solar ring. The price will obviously go up for the entire pool, but it is still a very affordable way to heat your pool.
When purchasing solar pool rings, be sure to check the warranty. Some companies offer a one-year warranty, while others offer a two-year or even lifetime warranty. This is important in case you have any problems with the product.
Also, be sure to compare prices before making your purchase. With a little bit of research, you should be able to find the best deal on solar pool rings for your needs.
How Long Does It Take For Solar Rings To Heat Up A Pool?
Solar rings are a great way to heat your pool without using much energy. They can be placed on the top of the pool and will absorb the sun's rays to heat the water below. But how long does it take for solar rings actually to heat the pool?
It depends on a few factors, such as the size of your pool, the number of solar rings you're using, and the weather conditions. In general, you can expect the water to be several degrees warmer after using solar rings for a few days.
How Many Solar Rings Do I Need For My Pool?
This answer depends on a few factors. The size of your pool is the main factor, but the average solar ring will cover about 50 square feet. So, you would need about 10 solar rings for a standard-sized in-ground pool. Above-ground pools will require fewer solar rings. You can always start with a smaller number and see how well they heat your pool water. If you need more, you can always add more later.
How To Use Pool Solar Rings?
To use a solar pool ring, simply place them on the surface of the water in your swimming pool. The sun will then heat the water inside the rings, which will heat your pool. You can also use solar blankets to help keep your pool warm.
Also, don’t forget to check the temperature of the water before you get in. You don’t want to jump into a too hot or cold pool.
Remember a few things when using solar rings to heat your pool. First, ensure that the rings are big enough to cover the entire surface of the pool. Also, place them in an area where they will get direct sunlight. You may need to move the rings around during the day to ensure they get the most sunlight possible. Finally, remember that solar rings will not heat your pool overnight – it may take a few days for them to work their magic.
Do Solar Rings Heat A Pool?
Solar rings are a great way to heat your pool without energy. They work by harnessing the sun's power and using it to heat the water in your pool.
How Long Do Solar Rings Last?
Solar rings will last for many years if they are properly cared for. It is important to keep them clean and free of debris so that they can continue to absorb sunlight and heat your pool effectively.
Will Black Garbage Bags Heat My Pool?
Yes, black garbage bags can be used to heat your pool. They work by absorbing the sun's rays and transferring that heat to the water. However, they are not as effective as solar rings and will only raise the temperature of your pool by a few degrees.
With all the different solar pool rings on the market, choosing the right one for your needs can be hard. However, by considering the size of your pool, the climate you live in, and your budget, you can find the perfect solar ring for your pool. In addition, following the products in this article, you can ensure that your solar ring will last many years.
We hope this article has helped you narrow your choices for the best solar pool rings on the market. As always, happy swimming!
EDM Sauce is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.