As the size of laptops gets smaller and smaller, so does the number of available ports. A common port that is lacking on many laptops is an Ethernet port. While this isn’t a huge problem for most users, some need a wired connection for either work or gaming purposes. This is where a USB to Ethernet adapter comes in handy.
A USB to Ethernet adapter is a very simple device that allows you to connect your laptop to an Ethernet network. This is a great way to get a fast and reliable connection, especially in an area with spotty WiFi. While most adapters will work with any laptop, a few are specifically designed for certain types of laptops.
We’ve rounded up the 5 best USB-to-Ethernet adapters for you, so all you have to do is choose the one that best fits your needs.
5 Best USB to Ethernet Adapter
1. TECKNET USB to Ethernet Adapter with USB C Adapter
- 【Extra USB C Adapter】The new version of the Ethernet adapter comes with a USB C adapter which to connect to Ethernet whether the computer only USB C interface or USB A interface, also easily transform the type-C port on the device to 3 Type A ports, allows you use network and other USB devices at the same time.
- 【Three Extra USB 3.0 Ports】This Ethernet adapter offers extra 3pcs USB 3.0 ports to your ultrabooks, notebooks and tablets featuring USB interfaces and enjoy data transfer rates of up to 5Gbps which 10 times faster than the original USB 2.0 port, also backwards compatible with USB 2.0/1.1 devices.
- 【USB 3.0 to Ethernet Adapter】The USB Ethernet adapter with USB 3.0 to RJ45 gigabit Ethernet port can up to 1000Mbps stable connection speeds. Gigabit Ethernet port provides fast network speed for you to online gaming, surf the Internet, online HD video streaming, upload, and download, backward compatible with 100Mbps/10Mbps networks.
TECKNET 4 in 1 USB Ethernet hub is made for connecting laptops with a single USB or USB C port. To expand a single USB or USB C connector to three USB ports while retaining the Gigabit Ethernet connection, connect your keyboard, mouse, printer, and webcam to this simple and useful addition.
It’s easy to install- just connect the adapter to your laptop’s USB port, then connect the Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter.
The small, lightweight USB 3.0 hub keeps all connections organized and neat, ensuring that plugs and cables do not interfere with one another. Ideal for use as an extension solution outside of your computer system.
The biggest hurdle people face when installing a new gadget is the driver. TECKNET has resolved this by providing a Driver-Free solution, which means it’s plug-&-Play. No installation is required.
The USB hub is compatible with various operating systems, including but not limited to Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS, Chrome OS, Ipad OS, Android, and Linux.
- 4-in-1 design
- The driver-Free solution, which means it’s plug-&-Play
- Compatible with a variety of operating systems
- The cable may not be as long as some people need
2. Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Internet Adapter
- Connects a USB 3.0 device (computer/laptop) to a router, modem, or network switch to deliver Gigabit Ethernet to your network connection. Does not support Smart TV or gaming consoles (e.g.Nintendo Switch).
- Supported features include Wake-on-LAN function, Green Ethernet & IEEE 802.3az-2010 (Energy Efficient Ethernet)
- Supports IPv4/IPv6 pack Checksum Offload Engine (COE) to reduce Cental Processing Unit (CPU) loading
Add high-speed Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to a desktop or laptop with a USB 3.0 port with this Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter. Simply connect the adapter to an available USB port and plug in the desired network cable to deliver fast, reliable wired internet connectivity.
The adapter adds high-speed Ethernet compatibility to your device to connect it to a router, modem, or network switch.
A reliable connection is critical when working from home or running a business. This Amazon Basics adapter ensures a fast and reliable wired internet connection.
This Ethernet Internet Adapter supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7, Chrome OS, Linux, or Android. But it’s not compatible with Mac OS or iOS.
- Super-fast transfer speeds
- Supports IPv4/IPv6
- No MacOS or iOS support
3. ABLEWE USB 3.0 to Ethernet Adapter
- 【USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter 】:Expand a single USB 3.0 port to connect more, Ablewe 4 in 1 USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter features a 1000Mbps RJ45 gigabit port, 3 USB 3.0 ports. And all hub ports can work simultaneously.
- 【5Gbps Data Transfer】: This USB network hub offers extra 3 USB 3.0 ports for connecting multiple USB peripheral devices such as flash drive, hard drive, keyboard, mouse, printer and more, keep you away from the trouble of plugging & unplugging your devices repeatedly. You can also transfer an HD movie in seconds.
- 【Plug and Play】:No need to install any drivers, provides access to superfast network speeds 10/100/1000Mbps,just plug and play, and makes it possible for computers without an Ethernet port to connect to an wired Ethernet connection.
With 3 extra USB 3.0 ports, this ABLEWE USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter lets you connect your laptop to a wired network and add three more USB devices.
The adapter is easy to set up and use- simply connect it to your laptop’s USB port and then connect the Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter.
The ABLEWE USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter is compatible with MacBooks, iMacs, MacBook Pros, Dell laptops, Lenovo laptops, and HP laptops.
Always hate having to keep plugging and unplugging things? Now you don’t have to with this handy device! Plus, it’s super fast- You can transfer an HD movie in just seconds.
- 5Gbps transfer speed.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Compatible with a variety of devices.
- Failed to work with old computers.
4. TP-Link USB to Ethernet Adapter
- USB Ethernet Adapter: UE306 is a USB 3.0 male A to RJ45 female ethernet adapter which connects your computer or tablet to a router or network switch for wired network connection. It adds a standard RJ45 port to your Ultrabook, notebook for file transferring, video conferencing, gaming, and HD video streaming
- Gigabit Networking for Fast, Stable Data Transfers: Full 10/100/1000Mbps gigabit ethernet - faster and more reliable than most wireless connections. USB powered, no external power required. Backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1
- Plug and Play in Nintendo Switch: UE306 helps connect your Nintendo Switch to a wired network system, a much faster and more stable network environment than a WiFi connection. Enjoy super-fast and high-quality downloading on your Nintendo Switch
As the company name might suggest, the TP-Link USB to Ethernet Adapter is a more affordable option. Also, it’s super easy to use- just connect the adapter to your computer’s USB port and then connect the Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter. That’s it!
This handy little gadget is also quite fast, with network speeds up to 1000Mbps for a smooth and responsive experience.
Moreover, it’s compatible with a wide range of operating systems, including but not limited to Windows 11/10/8.1 and Linux OS.
This adapter is perfect for gamers, online streamers, and anyone who needs a fast and reliable connection.
- Easy to use.
- Fast transfer speeds.
- Compatible with a wide range of operating systems.
- It may not work with all devices like MacOS.
5. uni USB to Ethernet Adapter
- 【USB 3.0 Fast Transmission】uni Ethernet Adapter supports 10/100/1000 Mbps at fast USB 3.0 speeds and is also backward compatible with both USB 2.0 and USB 1.1. Note: To reach 1Gbps, make sure to use CAT6 & up Ethernet cables.
- 【Plug & Play】USB to Ethernet adapter serves as the bridge between RJ45 Ethernet cable and your USB 3.0 devices and does not require any driver or software installed. Choose uni and enjoy your hassle-free network speed boosting experience. (!!Note: M2 chipset is not supported)
- 【Secure & Stable】Wired network is known as being securer and more stable than wireless connections, and uni's USB to RJ45 adapter is the perfect solution to maintain a safe and smooth network during online classes, video conferences, downloading large files, video streaming and gaming on your USB 3.0 devices.
The uni Ethernet Adapter is backward compatible with both USB 2.0 and 1.1, offering 10/100/1000 Mbps at lightning-fast USB 3.0 speeds. Please Note: If you want to achieve the advertised 1Gbps transfer rates, use CAT6 or higher Ethernet wiring.
Super easy to use and set up, this Plug-&-Play adapter requires no drivers or software installation. You will always know the working status with the LED indicator, and the aluminum case keeps your product cool and safe.
- Can achieve 1Gbps transfer rates
- LED working status indicator
- Not compatible with macOS.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best USB to Ethernet Adapter?
As usual, there are a few things you should take into account when choosing the best USB to Ethernet adapter for your needs. Here, we have done in-depth research and put together a buyer’s guide to help you make an informed decision. Not only this guide is for you, but we’ve also selected the best USB to Ethernet Adapter based on this criteria.
Wired and Wireless
There are two types of connection: wired and wireless. So, which one should you choose? It all depends on your needs. We recommend going with a wired connection if you need a fast and stable connection. On the other hand, wireless is the way to go if you need a more flexible and convenient connection. This one is equipped with an antenna that sends and receives WiFi signals.
These USB network adapters are pretty handy as they can be used with various devices such as laptops, computers, gaming consoles, and more.
You can often find USB network adapters bundled with an accessory called a “hub.” Hubs usually offer different types of ports, bringing back functionality lost as computers get thinner and lighter. They also allow you to connect more external accessories — like flash drives and SD cards — to your computer simultaneously.
The speed of your adapter is important, but it’s not the only thing you should consider. If you need a fast connection for online gaming or 4K video streaming, you’ll want an adapter that can provide speeds up to 1 Gbps. But if you only need a fast connection for web browsing and email, you can get away with a much slower adapter.
We realize that you may need to take your USB network adapter with you at all times, which is why most of these devices are tiny. On the other hand, if you only intend on utilizing it in one location, a larger hub would be more suited since it has greater port availability.
You’ll want to ensure that your USB network adapter is compatible with your devices. Most adapters will work with Windows and Mac computers, but you may need to check if it’s compatible with your specific model. The same goes for any other type of device you want to use it with, like a gaming console or a TV.
Since you might need this adaptor to plug in and out quite often, you’ll want to ensure that it’s durable. A promising sign of durability is a braided cord since it can withstand a lot of wear and tear. Another good sign is a metal connector since it won’t crack or break as easily as plastic.
USB C Adapter
C adapter is the newest and most advanced type of USB connection. It’s much faster than previous versions and can provide speeds up to 10 Gbit/s. It’s also reversible, so you don’t have to worry about plugging it upside down. The only downside is that it’s not as widely compatible as older versions of USB.
You should always check to see if the USB network adapter you’re interested in comes with a warranty. This shows that the manufacturer is confident in its product and is willing to stand behind it. A warranty will also protect you in case your adapter stops working or arrives defective.
Of course, you’ll want to consider the cost of the USB network adapter before making your purchase. But remember, the most expensive option isn’t always the best. Consider your needs and find an adapter that fits your budget and requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can USB be converted to Ethernet?
Yes, you can convert a USB connection to an Ethernet connection using a USB to Ethernet adapter.
Is USB to Ethernet faster than WIFI?
Yes, a USB to Ethernet connection is typically faster than a WiFi connection.
Can I use a USB to Ethernet adapter with any computer?
Most USB to Ethernet adapters are compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. However, it’s always a good idea to check the adapter’s compatibility with your specific computer model before purchasing.
Let your needs guide you when choosing the best USB to Ethernet adapter. Whether you need a fast connection for gaming or streaming or a more durable adapter for frequent use, there’s an option that’s perfect for you. Consider each adapter's speed, size, compatibility, durability, and cost before making your final decision. And don’t forget to check for a warranty—it could come in handy down the road.
EDM Sauce is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.