Back in the 80s, electric drum sets made their first appearance in the music industry, and while things didn't entirely start on the right foot, manufacturers went out of their way with improvements to make the kits sound more realistic than ever!
Fast forward to our current days, electric drum sets have gotten so much better, that it's getting trickier to tell them from actual acoustic drums!
Today, we'll be helping you find the best electric drum set for your needs. Whether you're a beginner, an intermediate, or play on a professional level, we've got you covered.
6 Best Electric Drum Sets
Alesis Nitro Kit Electric Drum Set
First up on our list is the Alesis Nitro Kit that offers outstanding value for an average home studio experience, making it an excellent choice for entry-level drummers.
The Alesis Nitro features an 8-inch dual-zone mesh snare pad, a 10-inch dual-zone crash (also choke-able), three 8-inch single-zone mesh tom pads, two extra single-zone cymbal pads, a full 4-post drum rack, as well as a hi-hat controller.
You also receive the Alesis DMPAD kick pad with steel housing, a single-zone pad, and anti-creep spikes. Of course, they didn't forget to throw in a chunky kick pedal along with assembly key, drum sticks, and manuals.
- Mesh pads feel realistic
- Quick kit voice editing
- Great value for money
- Sounds a bit artificial
- Feel The Difference Mesh Makes – All mesh electronic drum Kit heads deliver the most realistic, responsive and immersive playing experience drummers demand
- Premium Eight-Piece Drumset - 8 Inch dual-zone snare pad, (3) 8 Inch tom drums and (3) 10 Inch cymbals: ride cymbal, hi-hat, crash w/choke
- In-Demand Sound - Nitro Drum Module with 40 ready-to-play classic and modern drumkits, 60 play-along tracks and 350 plus expertly curated Acoustic / Electric drumset sounds
Roland Electronic V-Drum Set TD-1K
As far as entry-level electric drum sets go, the Roland TD-1K is about as good as it gets. You'll need to up your budget a little compared to the Alesis Nitro, but you'll be using a drum set with high-end features that you can't find on any kits in the same category.
The Roland TD-1K is comprised of four single-zone rubber pads for snare and toms, dual-zone crash and ride cymbal pads (choke-able), plus a hi-hat pad. The pedals of the TD-1K are standalone, so you can position them wherever you like or upgrade later on.
The solid construction of the Roland TD-1K guarantees an extended lifespan, while the decent sound quality makes for a reliable practice kit.
- Flexible pedal positioning
- Highly upgradeable
- Sturdy build
- Not very easy to set up
- Advanced Supernatural sound engine based on the flagship TD-30
- Sound quality and expressiveness equivalent to the top-of-the-line V-Drums
- Simple, logical interface for easily swapping and customizing each drum and cymbal in a kit
Yamaha DTX522K Electronic Drum Kit
Cranking the skill level towards more advanced kits, we can't help but talk about the Yamaha DTX522K drum module. This midrange set can definitely take on a practice session, a studio, or even a stage.
The DTX522K comes with three 8-inch rubber pads for tom, choke-able cymbal pads, bass drum tower, three triple-zone, a triple-zone silicone snare (XP80), as well as a KP65 kick pad.
This particular version is the first of the DTX series to include additional sounds generated by 3rd party VST developers, resulting in crisp sounds and an excellent audio profile without clouding. To make the set extra enjoyable to play, you get nice features on the cymbals such as muting and swells.
- Laser stroke-tracking technology makes it very responsive
- You can mute cymbals
- Suitable for a wide range of skill levels
- Kick pedal is sold separately
Roland TD-1MK Electronic Drum Kit
A step up from the previously mentioned TD-1K module, the Roland TD-1MK is one of the company's top models when it comes to value vs performance trade-offs.
This compact drum set features an 8-inch dual-zone mesh snare pad, three 10-inch dual-zone cymbal hi-hat, ride, and crash pads (choke-able), three 6-inch single-zone mesh pads for tom, a bass drum pad, and a hi-hat controller.
The layout of the TD-1MK is perfectly designed for smaller spaces, where the 4-post rack stands around a narrow H-shaped central area. Moreover, the built-in rubber bass drum trigger has enough room to house a double pedal.
- High-quality mesh tom and snare pads
- Smart, compact design
- Impressive value for money
- A bit lacking for serious drummers
- Kit includes Kick, Snare, Hi-hat, Hi-hat control pedal, Tom x 3, Crash, Ride, Drum stand. Other accessories such as kick pedal and personal drum monitor are sold separately.
- Size (Including sound module, kick pad, kick pedal and drum throne): 47-1/4" W x 43-5/16" D x 47-1/4" H | Weight: 17.8 kg
- Dual-ply mesh heads with tension adjustability for a quiet and realistic drumming experience
Alesis Command Kit Electronic Drum Set
Back to the affordable yet reliable Alesis brands, their Command Kit is an absolute breeze of fresh air whether we're talking about the quality of sound or construction.
The Alesis Command adopts a simple 5-piece configuration, packing dual-zone tom and snare pads and an 8-inch bass drum pad complete with a mesh head. The sturdy aluminum rack ensures longer service time, adding to the value factor of this set.
Additional sought-after features of the Alesis Command include a USB MIDI connection for easy recording, 3.5mm headphone input jacks, expansion pad inputs, 600 onboard sounds, as well as a sample playback option.
- Remarkable feel from mesh pads
- Superior sample control
- A lot of sound options
- Aluminum construction
- Setup can be tricky
- Natural feel, premium response; 8” mesh kick drum Tower with kick drum pedal (included), 10” dual-zone mesh snare and three 8” dual-zone mesh Tom pads
- Express yourself: (3) 10” cymbals: Ride cymbal, hi-hat, Crash with choke
- In-demand sound: Surge drum module with 40 kits, 60 play-along tracks and 385 sounds
Roland TD-30KV Electronic Drum Set
Last but not least, we couldn't sign off without giving the Ronald TD-30KV some much-deserved time in the spotlight. This kit is considered one of the highest quality options out there, delivering amazing studio-worthy sound that's for true professionals.
The TD-30KV is pretty easy to set up and it's well-crafted for maximum durability. The produced sounds are notably accurate, while the V-Edit mode is intuitive and user-friendly.
- Phenomenal sound quality
- Professional-level V-Edit mode
- Very sturdy
- The essential tools to improve your drumming
- The td-17 includes a variety of expressive modelled drum sounds inherited from the flagship td-50
- An array of built-in coaching functions will track your technique, measure your progress and increase your motivation
How to Choose the Best Electric Drum Set?
Here are a few pointers to help you pick the best electric drum set:
- Always check for the list of contents under the drum set you want to buy. Some kits don't include headphones, seats, amps, or kick pedals.
- Check the dimensions of the electric drum kit before you buy it. You want to make sure it'll fit in the designated room.
- Decide why you want the drum kit. It's clear by now (especially with the substantial difference in prices), that electric drum kits aren't created equally.
Whether you'll be using it for fun, to practice at home, or for high-quality studio sessions, you need to make sure you're buying a set that'll help you fulfill your goals.
As you can tell, finding the best electric drum set doesn't have to be a confusing task! Any of the options we included in our list is a great choice, you just need to determine your skill level and work from there!
So, if you're looking for a reliable entry-level electric drum set with incredible value for money, we recommend the Alesis Nitro Kit Electric Drum Set. Otherwise, the Roland TD-1MK Electronic Drum Kit can be a wonderful choice for intermediate to advanced players.
More Buying Guides
- Best Analog Synth Under 0
- Best Baritone Ukelele
- Best Bone Conduction Headphones
- Best Bluetooth Amplifier
- Best Camera for Music Videos
- Best Cat Ear Headphones
- Best Ceiling Speakers
- Best Closed Back Headphones
- Best Church Sound Systems
- Best DAW for EDM
- Best DAW for Hip Hop
- Best DJ Controller Under 0
- Best DJ Headphones
- Best DJ Software
- Best DJ Speakers
- Best Earplugs for Concerts
- Best Mixing Headphones
- Best Laptops for DJing
- Best Laptop Stand for Musicians
- Best Bluetooth Speaker For Bicycles
- Best Wakeboard Tower Speakers
- The 7 Best NFT Displays For Digital Artworks
- Best Marine Speakers
- The Best Subwoofer For Cars
- Best UTV Sound System