Sam Void first entered the electronic music scene in 2015 with his first single, “Young.” This single was released on Protocol Recordings and was supported by artists such as Nicky Romero, Sick Individuals, Felguk, Tom Swoon, and much more. His latest track “On My Mind” was also released on Protocol Recordings. This track shares the love and passion Void has for progressive house music. Recently, Protocol Recordings had its five-year anniversary; Luckily, Void was able to take part of the great celebration along with Nicky Romero and much more. This talented Dj took some time to speak with EDM Sauce.
1. What influenced you to get involved in the electronic dance music industry?
During high-school, I listened to a lot of different kinds of music. When I turned 18, I got into the club scene and heard all kinds of dance music. Tracks like ‘One’ from Swedish House Mafia got me inspired to start making music myself.
2. Has music always been a big part of your life?
3. You recently released your latest single “On My Mind.” Tell us what inspired you to create this funky track?
I got inspired by disco and 80’s vibes. I wanted to try something different and make it a more ‘chill out' kind of track. Even though the track was made in the winter, there were summer vibes going on in the studio!
4. How were you discovered by Protocol Recordings?
In 2015 I sent my track ‘Young’ to Protocol Recordings. They really liked the sound and released it on the Ultra Miami CD!
5. How does it feel to earn the support from great artists such as Nicky Romero?
It feels great! It’s important to know a great artist like Nicky Romero believes in me. In the past 2 years, Nicky Romero supported a lot of my tracks and I’m really grateful for that!
6. Will we be expecting any new releases this summer season?
Yes, this month actually! In the end of June, I will be releasing a new Protocol remix.
7. What has been your favorite live performance thus far?
My show in Madrid in April was my best international live moment so far. The audience was really great, such a good vibe. For me, it felt like a real Protocol Family night! Due to Nicky Romero, I was also able to play at The Flying Dutch 2017 edition in Amsterdam. It was an honor to be lined up with such great artists.
8. What are some goals you hope to achieve in the near future?
I want to release more of my own music and I aim to do some more international bookings!
9. Recently, Protocol Recordings had it's five year anniversary. How does it feel to be a part of this great celebration?
It feels really good! We had a great time during the celebration at the 250th radio show. It feels amazing to be part of the Protocol team! Surprising Nicky with the ‘5 years of Protocol cake’ was also really fun.
10. What surprises are in store for Protocol fans in regards to this once in a lifetime achievement?
There will be a 5 year EP! So maybe a new Sam Void track as well….
11. Any advice you'd like to give to potential music makers?
If you want to stand out in the electronic dance scene, I think it’s important to be original. Try to find your own sound in the studio and try to train your ears by for instance making copy tracks.
Sam Void – Young
Sam Void – On My Mind