For those of you who are unaware of EDM's new upcoming artist, Notaker, now is the time to educate yourself. Notaker is known for many tracks such as “Infinite” and his recently appraised track “Shimmer.” His music has been released on some of the most well-known record labels such as Armada Captivating, Monstercat and Deadmau5's Mau5trap. His unique music style has slowly taken the world by storm and has captivated the likes of many artists such as Above & Beyond, Gareth Emery, Arty, Sander Van Doorn and much more. Notaker has certainly captured our attention and we are truly impressed to see what more is to come. We took the opportunity to interview this fascinating artist and he kindly shared with us a little about himself.
1. What introduced you to the electronic dance music scene?
I was first introduced to electronic music through Skate videos. I’d hear a song I liked there and would listen to it while I skated and sometimes dive into that artist and listen to the rest of their discog. Artists like RJD2 and Amon Tobin were my first real exposure to the electronic sound. I was never really into the dance music scene until I went to my first full on electronic music show and after seeing what that was like there was no turning back.
2. How did you discover your passion for producing?
I attended my first electronic music show and afterward a friend of mine showed me some of the music he made and I was just amazed he made it himself. He then encouraged me to download a DAW and write music myself and from there I never quite stopped.
3. You are known for some of your best works such as “Infinite” and “Shimmer.” Which one of your self-produced tracks is your favorite thus far?
That’s a pretty tough question. I’m proud of all of the music I’ve made but usually, my favorites are the new records I’m producing at that particular moment. I think the excitement of putting my new ideas in motion mixed with all the current feelings and moods I’m having always make my newest productions end up being my favorite productions.
4. How do you define your own style of music?
The best way to describe it would be electronic. It’s a mix of styles that have all influenced me in one way or another over time creating this energetic mid-tempo driven sound.
5. Some DJ/producers are inspired by some of the most popular artists in this industry. Which artist(s) do you look up too?
My favorites will always be Deadmau5, Eric Prydz, M83, and Hans Zimmer. The way these artists write music and express themselves is something I deeply admire.
6. As a producer, you spend most of your time either performing on stage or creating new music. What do you like to do in your spare time away from performing and creating music?
In the one to two hours of spare time I have a month lol, I usually spend time with my wife and friends doing fun things like playing disc golf, going to concerts, and more recently working on the new house I just bought.
7. Do you have any advice for potential DJs out there trying to break out in this industry?
Love and believe in the music you write. If no one else ever cares about your music or listens to what you’ve made, you’ll at least have something you’re proud of.
Check out some of Notaker's tracks below.
Notaker – Infinite
Notaker – Shimmer
Notaker – Abyss
Gareth Emery – Saving Light (Notaker Remix)