Beatport, which has just sold for 50 million dollars to SFX Entertainment is a little more than 9 years old. To celebrate we though we'd share seven facts about one of the most popular platforms for selling EDM on the internet.
1. The first Beatport store was released on January 7th, 2004 and had 79 different Electronic Music Record Labels.
2. January 2005, Beatport 2.0 was released with a catalog of over 100,000 tracks with 2,700 different Record Labels.
3. February 2007, Beatport launched the Beatport Player which used Adobe Flash and HTML.
4. In 2010, Beatport was home to most ‘House Music' tracks, while Progressive House came in at #2 and Techno was #3.
5. Beatport partnered up with Shazam in 2013 to give Shazam users access to thousands of Electronic Dance Music tracks.
6. Manufactured Superstars‘ Roulier is a co-founder and founding member of Beatport. Sabo was an employee and remains a membe.
7. The artist or producer will generally receive 40 cents per $1.50 spent on a Beatport purchased track.