We’ve covered Wilsonn’s covers/vocal edits before but his take on “Touched” by What So Not is probably my favorite work by the Aussie singer to date. It really shows off his skillset and range, yet still doesn’t over due it or spice up the original too much. I could have seen the original version sounding like this, and would have enjoyed it just as much. Listen to his “Touched” take below and under that check out his second mixtape of vocal remixes, entitled Idiocentric, you won’t be disappointed. Also check out our Q&A with Wilsonn under the stream!
How long have you been making music?
- For a long time, but not as long as i wanted to be.
I found it interesting how most other musicians who create remixes/edits/bootlegs usually only mess around with the production, not the vocals. Have you been covering musically vocally for a while?
- No not really, I always loved creating original works but this seemed like a challenge for me and after some brainstorming, I came up with this concept and i am always up for a challenge.
The “Touched” edit on your recent mixtape is probably my favorite, being from AUS do you prefer working with/on Australian produced music?
- Yes i do, i think we have so much talent over here and the world has finally started to see and embrace that talent and the forward thinking artists in electronic music from Oz.
What is your personal favorite song off of the Idiocentric Mixtape? Why?
- Thankful. Because it's very close to my heart and I've been through a really big journey of personal growth and growth with my relationship. It's been a roller coaster of a ride thus far and what i realized through all of it is how thankful i am to have the life i have been given and the people in it.
Can we anticipate original music anytime soon?
- 100%! It's coming sooner than you think.
Have you performed live yet? What is your live set up like? Do you just need a laptop and a Microphone?
- I haven't performed live yet with this show and this new batch of music for Wilsonn. I do have a festival coming up later this year, Vanfest up in Forbes (AUS). I'll be sharing the stage with artists like Tash Sultana, Thundamentals, San Cisco, Amy Shark, Ali Barter and many more. So I'll be bringing my live show and band to this gig. Of course i may have a Laptop but I'll be playing some synths and a tiny bit of guitar, i also will have drums and a Keyboardist to give it that live organic feel to the show, so it's not all coming out of a lappy.
If you could tour with any artist, who would it be?
- It would be very close between Frank Ocean and Miguel! I would most probably pick Frank Ocean for the incredible songwriting aspect of his artistry.
Do you only sing? Or in the future will you also produce / use instruments yourself?
- No i don't just sing, I am a singer/songwriter foremost, but i produce, engineer, arrange most of the vocals and also mix and master some of my records as well. Of course i also collaborate with some incredible artists and producers on the upcoming original EP. Mxxwll, Arona Mane, Christian Rich & Xavier Dunne to name a few talented brothers who i have had the pleasure of working with.
Who are some of your major musical influences?
- Too many major musical influences to name but some of them are Frank Ocean, Miguel, Terence Trent D'arby, Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Khalid, Teddy Riley, Bobby Brown. Jodeci, New Edition, Michael Jackson, Living Color, Quincy Jones, Daft Punk & Hans Zimmer to name a few [even though i know it's more than a few]. 😉
Who is your favorite vocalist of all time? (Dead or Alive)
- Terence Trent D'arby but he goes by the name of Sananda Maitreya now though.