Hiking and outdoor adventures can provide a great escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. But before you can enjoy nature to the fullest, you need to be properly prepared. One of the most important items you need is a good hydration pack.
In this article, we'll take a look at some of the best hydration packs for hiking and outdoor adventures. We'll also provide some tips on how to choose the right pack for your needs.
A hydration pack is a backpack that includes a water reservoir or bladder, which allows you to drink while you hike or bike. This is much more convenient than carrying a bottle of water with you, as it frees up your hands to carry other items.
And unlike traditional backpacks, your favorite hydration packs typically have shoulder straps that distribute the weight more evenly across your body, making them more comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
Types of Hydration Packs
There are different types of hydration packs available on the market today, each designed for a specific purpose in the hydration system. For example, there are packs designed for short hikes, long-distance treks, and even biking or running.
Some packs come with additional features that can be useful, such as storage compartments for snacks or extra clothing. Others are specifically designed to be lightweight pack and compact, making them ideal for runners or bikers.
8 Best Hydration Packs
When choosing a hydration pack, it's important to select one that's well-suited for your needs. Here are eight of the best hydration packs for hiking and outdoor adventures:
1. CamelBak M.U.L.E. 12 Mountain Biking Hydration Backpack (100 oz)
- Air Support Back Panel: Designed with Body Mapping Technology to allow for maximum ventilation on the hottest areas of your back
- Magnetic Tube Trap: Keeps your tube secure and accessible when you need it
- Removable Waist Strap: Added stability when you need it
The Air Support Back Panel is designed with Body Mapping Technology to allow for maximum ventilation on the hottest areas of your back, and the Magnetic Tube Trap stay your tube safe and approachable anytime you need it.
The removable waist strap also provides added stability when you need it most. With 100 ounces of fluid capacity, this backpack has everything you need to stay hydrated on even the longest rides.
The 3D Vent Mesh Harness is breathable and lightweight, making the mountain biking hydration pack comfortable to wear even on long rides. The helmet carry system of this high-quality hydration pack ensures that your helmet is safely stowed and secured when you're not wearing it.
And the 100 oz hydration reservoir means you'll always have plenty of water on hand to stay hydrated during even the most strenuous rides.
- 100 oz hydration reservoir
- 3D Vent Mesh Harness for comfort
- Helmet carry system
- Air Support Back Panel for ventilation
- Fill-up is problematic for some users
2. CamelBak HydroBak Hydration Pack (50 oz)
- Lightweight cycling Hydration pack: The HydroBak cycling Backpack is exceptional for those short Bike rides; The 50 ounce crux reservoir provides enough water for a two hour ride, with a zippered pocket and ventilated harness for comfort
- More water per sip: Hydration in this lightweight backpack is supplied by a 1.5 liter crux reservoir, designed for quicker loading and refilling; it delivers 20 percent more water per sip, keeping you hydrated while you ride
- Built for simplicity: When all you want is water, this minimalist bike pack has you covered; with enough water for a 2 hour ride and a safe zip pocket for keys and essentials, the hydrobak backpack is designed for those short cycling adventures
This pack holds 50 ounces of water in its crux reservoir, enough to keep you hydrated for a two-hour ride. The reservoir is designed for quick loading and refilling and delivers 20 percent more water per sip, so you can stay hydrated even on longer rides.
The zippered pocket on the pack is perfect for storing keys and other essentials, and the ventilated harness ensures a comfortable and stable fit.
The men’s backpack features a secure zippered pocket that is perfect for storing your essentials, while the ventilated mesh harness and lightweight, breathable air mesh back panel give you a comfortable fit.
- Holds 50 oz of water
- Features a zippered pocket
- Ventilated mesh harness and breathable air mesh back panel for comfort
- Lightweight design
- Some users find the zippers to be of poor quality
3. Water Buffalo Hydration Backpack (2L)
- Long-lasting Affordable Quality: Compared to high-end hiking pack brands that cost $50 or more, this small hiking backpack for women features rugged ripstop nylon, sturdy metal zipper & more.
- Cool Water For Up To 5 Hours: When you’re in beast mode, your running backpack with 2-liter water pack Bladder (70 oz.) keeps you hydrated longer. This hiking water backpack can help you can grab 1 more mile with ease.
- Compact With Impressive Extras: Padded ventilated straps make this hydration pack backpack perfect as a kids hydration backpack. Handy clips keep water tube within easy reach, so you can keep going with your water pack backpack for running.
This helpful pack is designed to keep you hydrated on long hikes, runs, cycles, and bike rides. The insulated pocket and tube help maintain the temperature of your water for up to five hours, meaning you can stay refreshed for the journey ahead.
The backpack also includes a chest strap for extra comfort, as well as a Ripstop lining and zipper closure to keep all your belongings secure.
This backpack comes with a 2L water bladder that will keep you hydrated all day long. The backpack is also comfortable to wear, with padded straps and a breathable design. And when you're not using it, the Water Buffalo folds up nice and small so you can easily take it with you wherever you go.
- Good for long hikes, runs, cycles, bike rides
- The insulated pocket and tube help maintain water temperature for up to five hours
- Ripstop lining and zippered pockets closure
- Folds up small when not in use
- Too small for some users
4. Vibrelli Hydration Pack & 2L Hydration Water Bladder
- High Flow Bite-Valve: The ‘Easy-Twist’ mouthpiece doesn’t leak, water flows fast and won't drip on your shoulder when locked, making it an ideal cycling backpack and water backpack for running, skiing, snowboarding, and trail running
- Taste-Free Hydration Bladder: Made from medical grade materials, the water bladder is free from BPA and PVC. There's nothing worse than a plastic taste in your water, this bladder keeps your water tasting fresh, all day
- Multiple Storage Options: Vibrelli's hydration backpack design has intelligent storage options and pockets without being bulky
This bladder is made from medical-grade materials, so you can be sure your water will taste fresh all day. The high flow bite-valve ensures that your water won't leak or drip on your shoulder, and the easy-twist mouthpiece makes it a breeze to drink on the go.
This backpack has intelligent storage options and pockets without being bulky, making it perfect for those who want to stay hydrated on the go. The backpack easily adjusts to most body sizes, making it comfortable for anyone to wear.
Moreover, the Vibrelli Hydration Pack comes with a 2L hydration water bladder, making it easy to keep track of how much water you have left.
- Made from medical-grade materials
- High flow bite valve
- Easy-twist mouthpiece
- Intelligent storage options and pockets
- Adjusts to most body sizes
- Pockets could be larger
5. TETON Sports TrailRunner 2 Hydration Pack
- RUGGED AND REFLECTIVE: Built with TETON innovation, this awesome pack is built with durable ripstop construction and updated reflective print.
- IT’S AMBIDEXTROUS: No more being forced to reach across to your other shoulder because the Trailrunner 2.0 features hydration ports on both the left and right.
- PERFECT POCKET: The updated exterior micro-mesh front pocket is just right for your take-along snacks, keys, or other important items.
The pack features hydration ports on both the left and right, making it ambidextrous. The exterior micro-mesh front pocket is perfect for snacks, keys, or other small items. The TrailRunner 2.0 also features an updated reflective print.
Comes with a 2L bladder, so you can drink up without having to worry about refilling too often. And if you do run out of water, no need to fret. The lifetime warranty has got you covered. Plus, the amazing customer service team is always available to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Hydration ports on both the left and right
- Exterior micro-mesh front pocket
- Updated reflective print
- Lifetime warranty
- Limited space
6. REINOS Hydration Backpack
- FASHIONABLE , PRACTICAL & INSULATED: You will stand out by wearing REINOS hydration pack by it’s fashionable look, while it’s not win by just the beauty, but also the storing compartments, it has two independent compartments for your snmacks, towels, iphones, and other daily stuffs, plus an extra insulated bladder compartment.
- BPA FREE BLADDER: Bladder with 2 Liter volume, BPA FREE. Silicone bite valve, dust cover and quick release leak proof bladder connector.
- COMFORTABLE FIT BACKPACK: Fully adjustable shoulder and chest straps that will fit chest sizes from 26” – 52” to guarantee the perfect fit, keeping the pack from bouncing while running. Designed with a unique padded back section to allow airflow between your back and the pack.
The backpack is not only fashionable, but also practical and insulated, making it the perfect choice for hikes, bike rides, or even a day at the beach. The backpack features two independent compartments for snacks, towels, phones, and other daily essentials, plus an extra insulated bladder compartment.
The bladder is BPA-free and features a dust cover, silicone bite valve, and quick-release leak-proof bladder connector. The backpack is also comfortable to wear, with a fully adjustable shoulder and a chest sternum strap that will fit chest sizes from 26” to 52”.
Made from lightweight and durable materials, this minimalist hydration pack is both comfortable to wear and built to last. 100% waterproof, so you don't have to worry about your belongings getting wet if you get caught in the rain.
- Lightweight and durable
- 100% waterproof
- Fashionable and practical
- Insulated bladder compartment
- BPA-free bladder
- May leak on heavy rain
7. Osprey Syncro 12 Hydration Backpack with Hydraulics Reservoir
- Dedicated hydration compartment with included BPA-free Hydraulics LT 2.5L reservoir by Hydrapak
- Maximum ventilation with AirSpeed backpanel and bike-specific shaped harness
- Dual stretch mesh side and front panel pocket
This backpack has a dedicated hydration compartment that comes with Hydraulics LT 2.5L hydration reservoirs by Hydrapak. And the AirSpeed back panel and bike-specific shaped harness maximize ventilation so you can stay cool and comfortable even when you're working up a sweat.
The dual stretch mesh side and front panel pocket means you can easily access your water bottle without having to stop and take off your backpack.
It comes with a Hydraulics reservoir, which is perfect for keeping you hydrated on long hikes or bike rides. The osprey hydration pack also features a drinking tube, a zippered tool organization pocket, an integrated high-visibility rain cover, and a scratch-free zippered slash pocket for sunglasses.
Plus, the Syncro 12 has a LidLock helmet carry and loop for blinky light attachment (light not included).
- Amazing ventilation
- Dedicated hydration compartment
- Hydraulics LT 2.5L reservoir by Hydrapak
- Dual stretch mesh side and front panel pocket
- Flimsy blatter
8. Mubasel Gear Hydration Backpack Pack
The backpack is designed to fit snugly to your body, and the adjustable straps make it comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
The backpack also features a detachable chest strap and comes with a 2L BPA-free bladder, making it easy to stay hydrated on long hikes or during other activities.
The backpack is an ultralight pack and durable, making it a great choice for both youth and adults.
- Lightweight and durable
- Fits snugly into your body
- Adjustable straps
- Detachable chest strap
- 2L BPA-free bladder
- It will be too large for smaller people
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Hydration Pack
When choosing a hydration pack, there are a few things you'll want to take into account.
1. Bladder Size
The first thing to consider is the size of the bladder. Most hydration packs come with a 2L or 3L bladder, which is plenty for most people. However, if you're planning on going on a long hike or bike ride, you may want to choose a pack with a larger bladder.
2. Pack Size
Another thing to consider is the size of the pack. If you're only going to be using it for short hikes or runs, you can probably get away with a smaller pack. However, if you're planning on doing some serious hiking or backpacking, you'll want to choose a larger pack that can hold all of your gear.
When it comes to material, you'll want to choose something that's durable and easy to clean. Most hydration packs are made from nylon or polyester, which are both durable materials. However, if you're planning on using your pack a lot, you may want to choose one that's made from a more durable material like Kevlar.
While it may not seem like a big deal, the color of your hydration pack can actually be quite important. If you're planning on doing any hiking in the woods, you'll want to choose a darker color for your running hydration packs so you won't stand out as much. However, if you're just using it for running or biking, you can probably get away with a brighter color.
Finally, you'll want to make sure the hydration pack you choose has a good warranty. Most packs come with a one-year warranty, but some have longer warranties. This is something you'll want to take into account when choosing your pack.
How long can you leave water in a hydration pack?
The answer depends on a few factors, including the type of water you're using and the temperature. If you're using tap water, it's generally safe to leave it in your hydration pack for up to two days. However, if you're using fresh spring water or untreated water from a stream, you should only leave it in your pack for one day. Similarly, if the temperature is very hot, you should only keep water in your hydration pack for a few hours.
How big of a hydration bladder do I need?
The size of the hydration bladder you need depends on a few factors. First, consider how much water you'll need to stay hydrated. If you're going on a short hike, you may only need a small bladder, but if you're embarking on a multi-day backpacking trip, you'll need a larger one. Second, think about the type of pack you'll be using. Some packs have dedicated compartments for hydration bladders, while others are designed to carry smaller water bottles. If you're using a pack with hip belt pockets with a dedicated hydration compartment, you'll have more flexibility in terms of size.
Can you put ice in a hydration bladder?
The answer is yes! In fact, adding ice to your water can help keep you even more hydrated on hot days. The key is to make sure that the ice is in small pieces so that it doesn't get stuck in the bladder's opening.
Hydration packs are a great way to stay hydrated on the go. They come in a variety of sizes and styles, so you can choose one that's perfect for your needs. When choosing a hydration pack, be sure to consider factors like capacity, size, material, and price. Most importantly, make sure to choose a pack with a good warranty.
EDM Sauce is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.