DUX is one of the coolest artists to pop up in the past year. Bridging together soul, funk, electronic and pop music into one beautiful combination of sounds and feelings. His recent Remote Controlled Hobbies EP is a 7 track project that really pushed the envelope and should really be turning some heads. I enjoyed it so much that when offered to premiere his new set of visuals, I quickly jumped at the opportunity. Below you can see his new Music Video for “Flower” and read some questions we sent over to him. Check it out!
What is your musical background?
– I grew up in Massachusetts listening to hip-hop and old funk records; anything that got my head bobbin. I got serious about a career in music when I was 21, and moved to LA. I spent a few years working in recording studios around town, but I’ve always made tracks, and I got more serious about production and song writing a couple of years ago. I also play keyboards and produce for several different artists.
What are some of your favorite musicians over time?
– I’m heavily influenced by old-school soul and funk; James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Donny Hathaway. I’m also big into 80s synth funk, and early electronic instrumentation. I dig the musical sensibilities of the past, combined with current production and tones.
What does the name DUX represent?
– I got the name from one of my favorite 80s movies, ‘Bloodsport,’ but what the name represents to me is creativity. I make the music I feel, and I’m not trying to imitate anybody else. That’s what DUX is to me: artistic freedom.
You’ve released visual content before, what’s the difference this time around?
– ‘Flower’ is the 2nd video I’ve released from my new EP, Remote Controlled Hobbies. The track features my good friend and collaborator, Stan Carrizosa. Him and I had the idea to create a video for this song that was captivating and honest; like the song itself. We got an extremely talented director involved, Seth Iliff, and rode out into Death Valley National Park, to shoot on the salt flats out there. It was 10 hours of driving for 1 day of shooting, and we had some crazy rain roll in. But we were able to capture some amazing shots, and we’re extremely proud of the video.
What’s your favorite song off your EP?
– My favorite is ‘Miss Atlantic.’ It tells my story of being a kid out in Massachusetts, living out by the ocean. I used to drive out to the beach late at night, and just vibe and think. This song describes that feeling, and it holds a special place in my heart.