No matter what your preferred activity is, there’s a perfect daypack out there for you. Whether you’re into hiking and camping or biking and skiing, we’ve got the right bag for your needs. And with all of the different features and options available, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. But don’t worry – we’re here to help!
In this article, we’ll introduce you to the best daypacks for every type of adventurer. We’ll start by describing the different types of daypacks on the market, then we’ll recommend our top picks for each category.
So whether you’re looking for a bag that can handle extreme terrain or one that is comfortable enough to wear all day long, we have you covered. Keep reading to find the perfect pack for your next adventure!
What Is a Daypack?
A packable daypack is small to a medium-sized backpack that is designed for everyday use. These packs are typically between 15 and 35 liters in carrying capacity, making them perfect for carrying everything you need for a day hike or short overnight trip. Daypacks usually have multiple compartments and pockets to help you organize your gear, and they often come with built-in hydration reservoirs.
Types of Daypacks
There are four main types of daypacks: hiking, biking, skiing, and ultralight. Each type is designed for a specific purpose and has its own unique features.
- Hiking daypacks are the most versatile type of pack, as they can be used for everything from short day hikes to multi-day backpacking trips. These packs are typically between 20 and 40 liters in capacity, and they often have a built-in frame for carrying heavy loads. Hiking daypacks also usually have a lot of compartments and pockets, as well as straps for attaching gear to the outside of the pack.
- Biking daypacks are smaller and more compact than hiking packs, as they are designed to be worn while riding a bike. These packs are typically between 10 and 20 liters in capacity, and they often have a low-profile design to minimize wind resistance. Biking daypacks also typically have several compartments for storing gear, as well as straps for attaching items to the outside of the pack.
- Skiing daypacks are specifically designed to carry ski equipment, and they often have features such as a built-in boot holder and helmet carrier. These packs are typically between 20 and 30 liters in capacity, and they sometimes have an insulated compartment for storing lunch or snacks. Skiing hydration pack also often have several compartments and pockets for storing gear, as well as straps for attaching items to the outside of the pack.
- Ultralight daypacks are designed for minimalists who want to travel light. A few packs are typically between 10 and 20 liters in capacity, and they often have a very simple design with few compartments and pockets. Ultralight daypacks also usually don’t have any extra features or attachments, as every ounce counts when you’re trying to travel light.
The Best Daypack for Hiking and Camping
If you’re planning to hit the trails, you’ll need a daypack backpack that can handle rough terrain and changing weather conditions. Look for a bag with a sturdy frame and comfortable straps, as well as plenty of compartments and pockets for storing all of your gear. And don’t forget to choose a pack that’s big enough to carry everything you need, including extra clothing, food, and water.
Here are our top picks for the best daypacks for hiking and camping:
1. Venture Pal 40L Lightweight DaypackAmazon product
The Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Daypack is a great option for anyone looking for a durable and versatile backpack. Made from high-quality tear and water-resistant nylon fabric, it's perfect for carrying all your gear, whether you're headed to the gym or on a day hike.
The backpack with a padded hip belt also features a wet pocket design, which is perfect for storing sweaty clothes or towels after a workout or swim. And with heavy-duty metal zippers and bar-tacks at major stress points, the Venture Pal backpack is built to last.
This pack is perfect for everything from day hikes to international travel. It weighs only one pound, and can easily be folded into its own pocket for storage. The breathable mesh padded shoulder straps and plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulders, while the chest clip and whistle buckle keep the pack steady and centered.
The large main compartment has plenty of room for all your gear and features a separator and small zippered pocket to help you stay organized. Two side pockets provide quick access to water bottles or other essential items.
- Lightweight and durable
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps
- Plenty of compartments and pockets
- Can be folded into its own pocket
- The external straps slip if not secured properly.
2. 4Monster Hiking Daypack
The 4Monster Hiking Daypack is the perfect option for anyone looking for a lightweight and compact backpack. Made of water-resistant material, it will keep your belongings dry in the event of rain or light snow. The 30D nylon is also tear-resistant, making it durable enough to withstand long hikes and extended use.
The main zipper external pockets with padded laptop sleeve provide plenty of space for all your essential items, while the front pocket is perfect for storing smaller items such as your phone or wallet. The two mesh side pockets are perfect for holding water bottles or other loose items.
- Lightweight and compact
- Made of water-resistant material
- Plenty of compartments and pockets
- Great backpack for light loads, straps not too comfy.
3. RuRu Monkey 50L Daypack
The RuRu Monkey 50L Daypack is a great option for light backpacking trips. It has a 50 L capacity and weighs 2.2 pounds, making it perfect for 2-4-day adventures. The backpack has multiple compartments and pockets for extensive storage, as well as a large sleeping-bag compartment.
The backpack also has multi-directional compression straps to help keep everything in place. The RuRu Monkey 50L Daypack is also waterproof, thanks to the rip-stop polyester material. This means that you don't have to worry about the contents of your backpack getting wet if you get caught in a downpour.
The shoulder straps are padded with a sponge for comfortable carrying, and the back support is breathable and elastic for good ventilation. The daypack also has a wide variety of mesh pockets and compartments, making it perfect for carrying all your hiking gear. If you're not satisfied with the backpack, RuRu Monkey offers a full refund or free replacement.
- Multiple compartments and water bottle pockets
- Shoulder straps are padded with a sponge
- A breathable and elastic back support
- Could be put together a little better but good for the price
4. NEEKFOX Lightweight Daypack
Hiking is one of the best ways to get some exercise and enjoy the great outdoors, but it can be a pain if you don't have the right gear. A good backpack is essential, and the NEEKFOX Lightweight Daypack is a great option. It's made from durable rip-stop nylon fabric, so it can stand up to heavy use, and the adjustable straps make it comfortable to wear all day.
The pack is also ultralight, so it won't weigh you down on the trail, but it still has plenty of room for all your gear. It has one spacious main compartment that can even hold a laptop, plus two mesh side pockets, front two zipper mesh water bottle pockets, and internal zippered pockets for tiny accessories.
This backpack is perfect for overnight trips or multiple-day camping trips. It's also great for day hikes or travel. The best part about this backpack is that its rip-resistant nylon creation throws rain and withstands wear a lot better than other less-priced polyesters.
This backpack is also collapsible for easy storage. When you're done using it, simply fold it into its own zip pocket. It's the perfect backpack for anyone who wants a durable, multipurpose backpack that's easy to store.
- Made from durable rip-stop nylon fabric
- Adjustable straps for a comfortable fit
- Lightweight and roomy
- Multiple internal and external pockets for storage
- Collapsible for easy storage
- Arm straps need more padding
5. sunhiker Daypack
Do you love spending time outdoors, but hate lugging around a big, bulky backpack? Then the sunhiker Daypack is perfect for you! This small backpack is perfect for carrying all your essentials when you're out on a hike or camping trip. But don't let its size fool you – the sunhiker Daypack is made from highly tear-resistant nylon, so it's durable and can withstand all your adventures.
Moreover, it's water-resistant and has multiple compartments to keep your belongings organized. And if you get too hot on your hike, the breathable mesh shoulder straps will help keep you cool and comfortable.
- Made from durable, tear-resistant nylon
- Multiple compartments for organization
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps
- Nice color and small but maybe too small?
6. ZOMAKE Daypack
ZOMAKE Daypack is the perfect backpack for any trip! It is made of premium-quality tear and water-resistive nylon fabric and is sturdy with SBS metal zippers. It can be folded into an inner zipper pocket for easy carrying and storage.
Like rei co-op, this backpack is also ultralightweight and roomy, with a 25L capacity and only 0.6lb. It is spacious enough to carry a day’s worth of necessities and can be used as a carry-on for your excess baggage. Whether you are going on a day trip or a long-way tour, ZOMAKE Daypack is a must-have!
- Heavy-duty with SBS metal zippers
- Can be folded into an inner zipper pocket for easy carrying and storage
- Ultralightweight and roomy, with a 25L capacity
- Spacious enough to carry a day’s worth of necessities
- Straps too wide
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Daypack
In order to choose the best daypack for your needs, there are a few things you need to consider.
If you're planning on doing any hiking or camping, it's important to choose a backpack that is waterproof. This will protect your belongings from the elements and keep them dry in case of rain or snow.
It's also important to choose a backpack that is made from durable materials. This will ensure that your backpack will last for years, even with heavy use.
If you're planning on doing a lot of hiking, it's important to choose a backpack that is lightweight. This will help reduce fatigue and make it easier to carry your belongings over long distances.
4. Capacity and Compartments
When choosing a backpack, it's important to consider how much stuff you'll need to carry with you. If you're planning on doing overnight hikes or camping trips, you'll need a backpack with a large capacity.
It's also important to choose a backpack with multiple compartments. This will help keep your belongings organized and easy to access.
When choosing a backpack, it's important to make sure it is comfortable to wear. This means choosing a backpack with adjustable straps and a breathable design.
Now that you know what to look for in a daypack, you're ready to choose the perfect one for your needs!
What does daypack mean?
A daypack is a type of backpack that is designed to be used for day hikes or short overnight trips. Daypacks typically have a capacity of between 20 and 35 liters, making them large enough to carry all the essential gear for a day on the trail. However, they are not as large or as heavy as traditional backpacking packs, which can make them more comfortable to carry over long distances. These packs often have features specifically designed for hiking, such as chest straps and hydration bladder compatibility. And most importantly, they are built to withstand the rigors of life on the trail. Whether you're looking for an easy way to carry your gear on a day hike or you're planning a longer overnight trip, a daypack is a great option.
What is the difference between a daypack and a backpack?
When it comes to choosing a backpack, there are a lot of factors to consider. One important decision is whether to choose a daypack or a backpack. So, what's the difference? Daypacks are smaller and lighter than backpacks, and they're typically used for shorter hikes or trips where you won't need to carry a lot of gear. Backpacks, on the other hand, are larger and sturdier, making them ideal for longer hikes or backpacking trips. They can also carry more weight, so if you're planning on bringing along a lot of gear, a backpack may be the better option. No matter which type of pack you choose, be sure to try it on before you buy to make sure it's comfortable and suits your needs.
When choosing the best daypack for your needs, there are a few things you need to consider. Waterproofing and durability are important if you're planning on doing any hiking or camping, and weight is a factor to consider if you'll be carrying your backpack over long distances.
Capacity and compartments are also important, as they'll help keep your belongings organized. And finally, comfort is key to choosing a backpack that you'll actually want to wear. With all of these factors in mind, you're sure to find the perfect daypack for your next adventure.
EDM Sauce is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.