Stacey Pullen is known for creating a journey whenever he plays, this mix is no different. It's a mixture of contrast, mechanical and soulful, beautiful and dark, playful and sorrowful. Knowing that a part of his inspiration for this mix came from his daughter, added even more texture to the mix. It could be interpreted as a love letter teaching her about life, how it is not linear, and always fluctuating. When interviewed by Balance, he also mentioned that creating this mix gave him the chance to play some “eclectic melodic tunes” as a breath of fresh air to listeners.
The beginning of the compilation is a dark remix of EJEKTS's “Strung Out In Reno” by Marc Ashken. It continues, dark and slightly mechanical until Miss Mee gets mixed in. A spark of fun housey beat gets injected into the sound and brightens up the feel of the mix.
The second portion of the mix starts off with the glitchy sounds of Anderson Noise's “UFO”, followed by Stacey's original productions “Save Ourselves” & “I'm Coming”. It continues with a hazy, warehouse feel to the pulsating bassline of Kevin Over's track “2002”. The playful sounds of “Alex B’s “Discordant” sets the stage for my favorite part of the mix, an afro-house track by Jad & The Ladyboy and Oscar P and continues to fluctuating from a soulful saxophone that flashes a hint jazz to old school breaks, and finally coming to close with Fake Blood's “Music Box”.
Luckily, if you love this compilation, Stacey Pullen will be on tour this year. So, catch him when you get a chance, your ears will thank you.
For those of you who are in Detroit (and surrounding areas), come down to see a stacked set at Populux on November 6 for Detroit Love. Detroit heavyweights Stacey Pullen, Octave One, and Carl Craig will be coming home.
1. rEJEKTS – Strung Out In Reno (Marc Ashken Remix)
2. Leman & Dieckmann – Stomp (Original Mix)
3. Folic State – Another (NoGo) Zone (Gurwan Remix)
4. DJ Hightech & IZT – Fearless (RaySoo Dxb Mix)
5. Atmosfear – Dancing In Outer Space (The Revenge Rework 1)
6. Miss Mee – Lets walk down (Dub Version)
7. Roi Okev – Run Giorgio Run
8. Cid Inc. – Response
9. rEJEKTS – Skinnfog (Original Mix)
10. Digitaria – Little Boy
11. Sobek – Ubomi (Original Mix)
12. Toby Dreher feat. Dirty Paul – A Try (Autotune Remix)
13. Huxley – I Want You (Deetron Remix)
1. Anderson Noise – UFO
2. Stacey Pullen – Save Ourselves
3. Stacey Pullen – I’m Coming
4. Peter Gibney – Fine Lines
5. Kevin Saunderson as E-Dancer – Foundation (Original Mix)
6. Kevin Over – 2002
7. Hoito – Modern Kush
8. Alex B – Discordant (Original Mix)
9. Chris Carrier & Hector Moralez – Disco Remodel
10. Jad & The Ladyboy – Be My Friend (Original Mix)
11. Oscar P – Reactions Of You (Original Mix)
12. Osunlade – Schavanna
13. Roscius – The Royal Albert Hall (Jona Sul Remix)
14. Tom Ellis – Off On A Tangent (Original Mix)
15. Fake Blood – Music Box (Original Mix)